books and instruments

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Afrykan Delyte

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I'm new to this forum so I wanted to introduce myself. I'm class of 2008 for SUNY and I will be graduating from Syracuse University next week...Can't wait 😀
I was just wondering for those that go to SUNY, what books did u have to get for the first year, b/c I am dead broke and I'm trying to buy these books at the cheapest price I can get. Also what instruments did u have to buy during your first year b/c I see theres a 1.960 instrument fee due in July before I get my loans and I was like..."what?..they have to be kidding"...there is no way I'm going to have that kind of money by July. So I was wondering like if I could buy the instruments somewhere else for a cheaper price.
 
Hi AD -- welcome to the forum! 😀

1. Don't buy any books until you get to school. You can check out many of them from the library, and when you get here you'll find out from 2nd years which ones you really need to buy. You can buy books through a group buying plan at the school (no bookstore, so they order out), but I found I could get them cheaper on my own elsewhere.

2. The equipment prices are best through the school. I looked around a lot and couldn't do any better. The sticker shock is pretty bad because you're buying so much at once, but the vendors give the school a good deal.