books for biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XRanger

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have the kaplan biochem notes, but it's the super old 2002 version that I got from someone.
I wonder if I should get a newer version, or maybe even buy a different book (i'm thinking either RR biochem or BRS biochem)

out of these 3, which one is the most helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

I currently have the kaplan biochem notes, but it's the super old 2002 version that I got from someone.
I wonder if I should get a newer version, or maybe even buy a different book (i'm thinking either RR biochem or BRS biochem)

out of these 3, which one is the most helpful?

Kaplan Biochem. Do ONLY the diagrams. You will not get a single BC question wrong for the rest of your life.

Kaplan biochem was solid. i'm sure 2002 w/ hansen was solid. I found the 2005 wonderful. That + Qbank questions should be more than enough. Know how diabetes <-> glycolysis/gluconeogenesis works, and all major enzymes on FA.

Rapid Review Biochem. Constantly integrates with pathology, physiology, and cell biology with "pearls" scattered throughout. Great, great book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rapid Review Biochem. Constantly integrates with pathology, physiology, and cell biology with "pearls" scattered throughout. Great, great book.

From what I've read on other threads, FA is all you really need to review for the biochem section. You don't need to know every step of every pathway to do well on Step I. You do need to know certain regulatory steps, enzymes, products, etc. That being said, BRS and RR Biochem have too much low yeild information. Kaplan does it just right. FA Basic principles, with all its errors, has good diagrams and excellent clinical correlations. I'm a little weak on biochem, so I'm going to do Kaplan or FABP + errata page with FA.

From what I've read on other threads, FA is all you really need to review for the biochem section. You don't need to know every step of every pathway to do well on Step I. You do need to know certain regulatory steps, enzymes, products, etc. That being said, BRS and RR Biochem have too much low yeild information. Kaplan does it just right. FA Basic principles, with all its errors, has good diagrams and excellent clinical correlations. I'm a little weak on biochem, so I'm going to do Kaplan or FABP + errata page with FA.

True, but who actually worries about JUST passing these days? Most people want to hit at least average and FA might not cut it if your biochem background is lacking.

True, but who actually worries about JUST passing these days? Most people want to hit at least average and FA might not cut it if your biochem background is lacking.

Absolutely right McGill! If you have a strong enough background and want to "review" high yeild biochemistry, just use First Aid. If you are weak on biochemistry and want a more thorough review, try FABS or Kaplan. .

Last edited:
Absolutely right McGill! If you have a strong enough background and want to "review" high yeild biochemistry, just use First Aid. If you are weak on biochemistry and want a more thorough review, try FABS or Kaplan. .
read molecular biology from kaplan, do the diagrams from metabolism part well. then switch to FA. you will love. you will get what is required. though i have still not taken my exam but i was able to score well on UW. i doubt that you would be missing out on anything. i have older version too. but it does not really matter what version you have. metabolic pathways are not going to change. try this way. about me i read kaplan biochem quiet a few times before switching to FA and i found that FA had good amount of stuff. may be parts of molecular biology were lacking a bit.