PhD/PsyD Books for Deciding on Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xXIDaShizIXx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In regards to looking at Ph.D. program information for this upcoming cycle, should I get the 2015 Graduate Study in Psychology book (I noticed that it was published last August, so should I wait until this August or will the difference be negligible)? And should I get the insiders guide book? Or any other recommendations? Just want to fine tune the list and be ready to go this application season (don't want to make the same mistake I did last time)! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

The survival guide is what I used. I also relied heavily on psychologymaps.com to target specific geographic areas that I liked, and then look at specific school's faculty and funding.

Reactions: 1 user
The survival guide is what I used. I also relied heavily on psychologymaps.com to target specific geographic areas that I liked, and then look at specific school's faculty and funding.
Yeah I saw your post about that, thank you! Do you know anything about the Guide to Graduate Study and if I should go ahead and order the 2015 edition? I used the 2013 edition last time. It has all the funding/concentrations/programs/etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not familiar with it, so I really can't offer an opinion on it.

I had never seen psychology maps, that is awesome! I used the insider's guide to clinical and counseling programs.

I had never seen psychology maps, that is awesome! I used the insider's guide to clinical and counseling programs.

I meant to say insiders guide not survival guide - whoops

Last edited:
If you are only applying to clinical/counseling programs, then you really don't need 2015 Graduate Study in Psychology. I bought it but never used it. I suggest you rather spend your money for APA graduate school database online. It is essentially the same as this book, but in online searchable format. http://www.apa.org/pubs/databases/gradstudy/index.aspx. Insider's guide is still a must though :)

If you are only applying to clinical/counseling programs, then you really don't need 2015 Graduate Study in Psychology. I bought it but never used it. I suggest you rather spend your money for APA graduate school database online. It is essentially the same as this book, but in online searchable format. http://www.apa.org/pubs/databases/gradstudy/index.aspx. Insider's guide is still a must though :)

That actually seems (at least on the surface) like a pretty excellent resource at a reasonable price. Credit where it's due--kudos to APA for developing it.

Get the Insider's Guide, soooo helpful, and decently cheap. It will pay for itself many times over.

Reactions: 1 user