Books for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bazang

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any recommended books for the pocket or home to excel on EM rotation? What about baby Tintinalli or a good ekg book? Any good place to look for used books with decent deals?

Members don't see this ad.

Bazang said:
Any recommended books for the pocket or home to excel on EM rotation? What about baby Tintinalli or a good ekg book? Any good place to look for used books with decent deals?

I'd recommend "Pocket Emergency Medicine". It's reasonably comprehensive for a quick reference and, as the title implies, fits in your pocket.

"Just the Facts" by Ma is a condensed version of baby Tintinalli's and a quick but useful read. Basically a paragraph on epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, treatment/disposition. very nice and condensed with the high-points.

EMRA's Top 30 problems in EM also is a nice pocket guide that has evidenced based answers on how to work up the 30 most common problems encountered in the ED. I liked it for my rotations.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
what about blueprints? i've looked at it and it sounds similar to the book 12R34Y is describing...has 2-3 pages on >100 problems seen in the ED grouped by organ system. i'm still only a 3rd year, but it seems like a decent book after scanning a few of the items covered in it.

I got the Tintinalli Emergency Medicine Companion Handbook, fits in the pocket (but a tight squeeze) and substantial enough to actually read in down times.
For EKG I used Garcia 12 Lead ECG, The Art of Interpretation. It is setup for anyone to use beginner to near expert. Programmed learning for different levels. Probably more than any other than a Cardiologist wants to know, but you can learn to the level you need and then go back for more.
Don't buy new until you check eBay or Amazon for used. I got mine in pristine condition used.

I would definately go with teh Garcia for 12 lead. Its phenomenal.

Ditto the EMRA guide. its good. I bought the baby tintinalli as a med student and thought it was pretty useless. I would go with the Ma or something similar. Also, I had checked out of our library the Secrets series for EM. It was really good.