Books for ophtho elective?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kopa

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as far as general textbooks / review books to prepare for clinical rotations in ophtho. I was hoping to get a jump on things before Day 1 of the rotation to avoid looking completely ignorant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kopa said:
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as far as general textbooks / review books to prepare for clinical rotations in ophtho. I was hoping to get a jump on things before Day 1 of the rotation to avoid looking completely ignorant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I used Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology and checked out Kanski's atlas from the library. I thought the Vaughan book was very helpful but lacks good pictures. I also looked at the Will's Eye Manual occasionally as well during the rotation that residents usually had.

If you are ultra short on time an want to know at least something there are 2 GREAT books. Vaughn is actually the bomb also but to really read that book takes time (you could skim it quick but to get a lot out I don't think can be done quickly.) Blueprints makes a really good book that is also small enough that you can carry in your white coat during the rotation. It is actually very, very good. Also I would read all of Clinical Ophtho made ridiculously simple before you start partly because this is definately an acheivable goal and you at least will have a great grasp on myopia, hyperopia, and presbyopia. But it covers way more that that. Also its newest edition includes a CD which shows LASIK, LASEK, and cataract surgery. AND if that wasn't enough it includes tons of pics of eye disease (on the CD). There is absolutely no book for this amount of money (like 20 bucks) that can touch this much clinical info. Good luck I hope you do well. Don't get discouraged if you aren't really impressing anybody though, I think that it is very hard to do on an ophtho rotation just because the field is so specialized and most med schools provide almost zero training in eye disease.