Books for pediatric internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

angeleyez04

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to everyone who matched! Haven't been on this in a while, because these posts would make me more nervous waiting for match 🙄. Quick question: would you suggest getting books before starting internship? If so, which ones? I'm kind of nervous for NICU, but I was always told you learn from the rotation itself; it would be great if there was a book to go along with it though 😀. Thanks!
 
Congratulations to everyone who matched! Haven't been on this in a while, because these posts would make me more nervous waiting for match 🙄. Quick question: would you suggest getting books before starting internship? If so, which ones? I'm kind of nervous for NICU, but I was always told you learn from the rotation itself; it would be great if there was a book to go along with it though 😀. Thanks!

For neo:

New:

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Neonatal-Care-Spiral/dp/0781769841/ref=pd_sim_b_title_7

Older but still good:

http://www.amazon.com/Neonatology-M...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208576482&sr=1-4
 
If you go to the bookstore and browse through both of them, and really can't decide - see which one everybody else buys and then take the other one! That way, you will have the benefit of both kinds lying around in your NICU workroom!
(I spent an hour trying to decide and then took the previous version of Eichenwald et al, because it seemed to better answer the kind of questions I had. Many of my classmates had the Gomella one instead.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How about a book/handbook for wards and general peds? I have seen a few (Pediatrics On Call, On Call Pediatrics, Clinical Handbook of Pediatrics, Phildadelphia Guide: Inpatient Pediatrics). Are any of those any good, or are there any others people would recommend besides Harriet Lane?

Here's the link for the ones I mentioned:


http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Hand...d_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979944&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Pediatrics-Ca...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979944&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Call-Pediatri...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208979968&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Philadelphia-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208980007&sr=1-1