1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Books for step 1

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Diesel Mind, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Diesel Mind

Medical Student
    I'm trying to get most of my books bought so I will have everything ready when it is time to start studying. Goal would be to hit around the 240 range.

First Aid
    BRS or RR path
    Microbio made ridiculously simple
    pharmcards
    BRS physio
    BRS biochem

Seem reasonable? Too much? Too little? Thanks for the help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. katarina90

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm just a second year beginning but if you're debating on RR Path vs BRS Path, go for the Goljan Rapid Review.

I have both and the BRS book is relatively useless unless you heavily annotate it from Robbins...it has the clinical presentation but lacks any explanation of the mechanism of a lot of diseases; it also lacks the histologic characteristic giveaways (ie., Langhans giant cell in chronic granulomatous inflammation). And the pics are not as nice as in Goljan's.

4. DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby Grand Master
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I used First Aid as laid out by DoctorsInTraining.
    I don't know my score though--comes out next week at the latest, I will find out then if that was sufficient.

5. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ditch BRS Biochem and use BRS physio only if you need clarification. Other than that, solid list.

6. hrandani

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    In my opinion USMLE Secrets is one of the most underrated prep books out there.

It's a ridiculous name; I wish they had named it clinical pathophysiology, or cases for the USMLE Step I so I wouldn't feel so silly reading it. My roommate bought it and I picked it up one day off the coffee table. Didn't put it down for almost two weeks. It's really amazing how much I learned from that, a lot of context and explanations that helped me connect the dots from all the other sources.

RR path was very, very difficult to go through for me until I had pretty much learned all the material from somewhere else. It is advertised as a review book though...

7. neulite30

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I agree with this post. While doing my elective in Tokyo I found USMLE secrets at a bookstore and used it all through 2nd year. It's a fantastic book and very high yield.

Regarding the name, if you don't like the name then you will definitely hate the name of the other 10+ books in the Secrets series. It's a series of high yield books for many of the medical areas for rotations, exams, etc. They are hit and miss but the three that you want:

-USMLE Step 1 Secrets
    -USMLE Step 2 Secrets
    -Abernathy's Surgical Secrets (a well-written, witty text)

8. DrMattOglesby

DrMattOglesby Grand Master
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    my bad. I forgot to mention that I used USMLE Step 1 Secrets as well. It was a GREAT book. I used it more throughout the year as I went through PBL cases. I only briefly referenced it during my Step 1 studies; during which time I focused more on mastering the content within First Aid.

9. Elbowstoopointy

Elbowstoopointy U aware?

Medical Student
    BRS Path is hardly "useless"...goljan goes far overboard with stuff that isn't even pathology.

10. mrcmedman

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Have you looked into using Pathoma instead of Golgian? It's more to the point and the lecturer does a great job of saying and illustrating things in a way that just click into your head. Golgian was just too dense for me.

11. Elbowstoopointy

Elbowstoopointy U aware?

Medical Student
    Pathoma makes path really easy imo

12. Elbowstoopointy

Elbowstoopointy U aware?

Medical Student
    Maybe add high yield neuro if you aren't up on it