Books on Optometry Business Management

Started by q1we3
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

q1we3

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone recommend any good books to become more familiar in business side of optometry. I got nothing better to do these days.
 
Can anyone recommend any good books to become more familiar in business side of optometry. I got nothing better to do these days.

There was a book we received when graduating: Optometric Practice Management by Irving Bennett, OD.

I never read it and although old, when I flipped through it early on, it seemed to have some good tips.
 
At ICO, our class got lucky and was given this excellent book (which I anticipated buying and gladly would've paid for):

Business Aspects of Optometry
by the Association of Practice Management Editors.
Edited by Lawrence Thal and Sam Quintero

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...ils?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1326910902&sr=1-1&seller=

BAO is very helpful and covers the business aspects of optometry quite comprehensively. I found it most helpful view their examples of writing a business plan and the detailed descriptions of the plan components. I haven't finished reading it all but in the scattered chapters or sections I have read, it has been helpful. There are sections on finance, staff, demographic research, etc.

This is more of a comprehensive business text than a practice management tips handbook. Highly recommended for all optometry students and anyone interested in starting a practice.

Other resources:
AOA website. log in and locate practice management section of site for resources.
MBA-CE.com free login and also loaded with useful forms and key business metrics.

Cheers!
Jeff