Books to read as an incoming PGY2

Started by sandy0477
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sandy0477

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I recently matched into PGY-2 PM&R after years of struggle. I did my PGY-1 Gen Surg in 2018 and had a break till now after that. My PGY-2 starts next year and I have some time to kill. I would like to get started on what would be appropriate books for an incoming intern.

1) To form a solid base for PM&R knowledge
2) To handle call days and acute rehab
3) For clinic days
4) For the boards

I appreciate your replies.

Thanks
 
My PGY-2 I attempted to read the Braddom PM&R textbook as much as I could - especially for the inpatient rotation diagnoses (SCI, TBI, stroke, amputee, etc.). The book is very dense, but will give you an awesome base of knowledge for PM&R. I know others have done the same with DeLisa textbook and found it very valuable.

Cuccurullo book is great for preparing for boards, but IMO you need a base of knowledge prior to reading.
 
Learning about neurogenic bowel/bladder would be first priority. That’s half your job PGY-2. In reality...you should have time to learn what you need to know while in residency. Find something fun to do instead of spending free time studying for PM&R.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad