books to read for first year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arik79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone. going to start pgy2 year in a few months and wanted a general opinion on what is the best first book to read for pmr(have not read a pmr text yet) and what books in general are good for the first year.

Members don't see this ad.

My 3 top choices

PM+R secrets is a fun and easy general book with lots of good content

Easy EMG would be high on my list. Learning the language of EMGs requires time, and by learning the nomenclature early, it makes it easier to understand conversations with your colleagues. And a lot of the content of EMGs applies to other specialties.

Buschbacher's musculoskeletal text is a great one for getting ready for musculoskeletal rotations

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you guys think about Magee's Orthopedic Physical Assessment text? It's geared towardS PTs but I have found it to be an excellent text for the beginner (med student/ PT level) especially in describing special tests for each region.

-J

Buschbacher's book is a waste of good paper. You cannot be serious.

thanks for everyone's replies.
arik

> Buschbacher's book is a waste of good paper. You cannot be serious.

I really like Buschbacher's book. (Actually, I like his books. I think his nerve conduction manual is the best, and I like his sports medicine book too). I tend to use Magee and Malanga's msk books more now that I am toward the end of my training, but I think Buschbacher's is the best as a basic, introduction into musculoskeletal medicine.

Why don't you like it?

arik79 said:
hey everyone. going to start pgy2 year in a few months and wanted a general opinion on what is the best first book to read for pmr(have not read a pmr text yet) and what books in general are good for the first year.

Obvouisly, you should invest in Braddom's or DeLisa's text for general rehab. I also agree with Choi's book. Jackson Tan's pocketpook is more extensive, but really good as well.

For musculoskeletal, choose one or 2: Magee, Essentials, Brotzman, Hoppenfeld... Depends on how you study and learn. You should look through them yourself, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Make sure you download PASSOR's competencies and learn that stuff for starters:
http://www.aapmr.org/passor/education/msklists.htm

EMG text- for starters I would get my hands on Preston and Shapiro. Its an EMG text that is actually easy to read for the novice. Once you get the hang of the "language" you can tackle the more traditional texts (Dimitru or Kimura) and the mini-monographs (though most of them are not so "mini").

Good luck!

B

arik79 said:

I guess I didnt answer your quesiton:

Although you should be reading the major texts along the way, the best FIRST BOOK for a general overview- A tie between Jackson Tan's book and Secrets. Again, it depends on the style that best fits your learning!

B

I found that a book called Manual of Physical Medical & Rehabilitation by Brammer & Spires is a really good straight forward introduction to each area of rehab medicine. It's good for MS4 - PGY2 because it provides the basics without too much detail. It's lacking in outpatient/musculoskeletal areas but it's great for the PGY-2 year since most programs have the PGY-2 residents doing inpatient rotations. I think Tan is too detailed in many areas for an initial book but secrets is good if you like the question-answer format.