Books to read

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plectron

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read a few of the classic investing books (The Intelligent Investor, A Random Walk Down Wall St., etc) but what are some good basic economic books to read. I'm looking to get a good knowledge of mirco and macro. I'd rather avoid textbooks due to the costs.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read a few of the classic investing books (The Intelligent Investor, A Random Walk Down Wall St., etc) but what are some good basic economic books to read. I'm looking to get a good knowledge of mirco and macro. I'd rather avoid textbooks due to the costs.

Reading the Bogleheads website as well as their book should be helpful as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you exactly looking for? Books that get you started on good money management habits or books that details years of investment wisdom from famous investors? You don't really need books on macro stuff since they're pretty useless in the grand scheme on things. Usually, I zone in names by picking industries that would grow considerably in the next 10-20 years. After that, I would zone into businesses that would have a big moat. Then I zone into quality of team management. Lastly, I do a price analysis based on fundamental factors and compare it to current industry wide metrics and historical metrics in order to determine if the current price is reasonable. Note the emphasis on reasonable here.

Sometimes people stay away from misconceived expensive names by using outdated metrics and miss 10-20 baggers.

He's looking for micro vs. macro, MMT and the like one assumes. Agree that blogs are a pretty good way to get an intro and learn how things go as world events unfold, also gives you things to look into further on your own. While theres no need to get neck deep in these subjects a basic understanding really is illuminating and makes one cringe at the sound bites and generally terribly misunderstood differences between macro and micro. Now, I dont think politicians actually misunderstand as much as they really understand how thoroughly their audiences do

www.philosophicaleconomics.com is also great, sometimes extremely in depth. There can be some good things on Seeking Alpha as well, but far more crack pots and you have to be able to find the diamonds.

I recommend "Psychology of Investing" by John R Nofsinger to pretty much anyone who wants to get started in investing. Especially if you've already run through a Benjamin Graham book. This one will be a quick read.

For Warren Buffet fans, I recommend the Intelligent Investor and Security Analysis.
For George Soros fans, I recommend the Alchemy of Finance.
For Jim Rogers fans, I recommend A Gift to My Children: A Father's Lessons for Life and Investing.

I would also recommend some stuff from Peter Lynch and Ken Fisher.

Once you read through these books, you will see a variety of successful investment styles with some very similar traits shared between these guys. At the end of the day, I recommend understanding the tools and financial mindset of these successful gurus. You can't really copy anyone here. You really need to internalize the materials and develop your own styles.

He's looking for micro vs. macro, MMT and the like one assumes. Agree that blogs are a pretty good way to get an intro and learn how things go as world events unfold, also gives you things to look into further on your own. While theres no need to get neck deep in these subjects a basic understanding really is illuminating and makes one cringe at the sound bites and generally terribly misunderstood differences between macro and micro. Now, I dont think politicians actually misunderstand as much as they really understand how thoroughly their audiences do

www.philosophicaleconomics.com is also great, sometimes extremely in depth. There can be some good things on Seeking Alpha as well, but far more crack pots and you have to be able to find the diamonds.

I wouldn't recommend blogs because they are usually written by unsuccessful investors. Successful people are too busy making money instead of updating blogs. The best starting kits are books written by successful people in the field.

Some of these blogs are written by successful enough to be retired investors, and others that are fund managers. Being a smart person its relatively easy to see the wheat from the chaff and no one here should have any problems with that either. Some of the blog writers also have books so I dont get your point, these blogs arent just some guy day trading in his moms basement, they are often very successful and I cant think of anyone I read offhand that isnt already retired or financially independent and just chooses to also write.

You will often also get the occasional blog post from big names like Bill Gross, Ben Bernanke (excellent stuff in there), etc...so your argument is its failed investors doesnt hold water. Sure you have to keep to quality, but I dont think thats hard for a dr to notice or find.

Reactions: 1 user
Some of these blogs are written by successful enough to be retired investors, and others that are fund managers. Being a smart person its relatively easy to see the wheat from the chaff and no one here should have any problems with that either. Some of the blog writers also have books so I dont get your point, these blogs arent just some guy day trading in his moms basement, they are often very successful and I cant think of anyone I read offhand that isnt already retired or financially independent and just chooses to also write.

You will often also get the occasional blog post from big names like Bill Gross, Ben Bernanke (excellent stuff in there), etc...so your argument is its failed investors doesnt hold water. Sure you have to keep to quality, but I dont think thats hard for a dr to notice or find.

Bill Gross has been pathetic. He's so bad that his own fund kicked him out, resulting in recent better returns relative to Gross's new fund. There is a difference between investment and economic theories. If there's a correlation, all economists would be billionaires right now. But, that's not the reality. Sure, it's fun to talk about the possibility of enacting negative interest rates and such. However, at the end of the day, better investment return is based on investing in good businesses at reasonable prices. In that essence, it has little to do with economic policies.

Let me know when successful guys like Soros and Buffet have blogs. They don't! They are too busy making real money instead of wasting their time preaching to the choir about their thought processes. If you want to talk about successful blogs, let's post a few here and let others be the judges. Perhaps, your idea of good blogs is different than mine.

Bill Gross may be doing poorly in this low interest rate environment but hes had a successful career, and I wasnt somehow endorsing these folks as amazing gurus, just real people that are successful and have been known to post blogs contrary to your points. If successful investors are too busy making money to blog then they should be way too busy to write a book, which is much more of an undertaking. Soros writes "essays" articles quite often, and these are essentially blog posts, your divisions are artificial. Buffet also communicates often with people, but doesnt have a blog of course. Blogs are a form of communication, its important the content therein not the form it takes, and even the "greats" you mentioned communicate. That the octogenarian investing crowd isnt big on blogs should come as no shock to anyone as it makes perfect sense. Its unlikely that persists into the future as it becomes just another normal form of communication.

There are people making much more than a physician will on blogs, and this is without any risk whatsoever, so its not a terrible thing and sign of failure as you suggest. I'd be perfectly happy pulling in some of these guys paychecks to sip coffee and write articles.

Im unsure where I said that understanding economics is paramount to being a successful investor, I am simply of the mind that acquiring more knowledge in general is better when paired with a focused intent to produce a better more predictable outcome. Economics in general has some serious flaws at the very base of their theories, mainly that people are rational and always do what is the best utilization of such and such...when its quite predictably the opposite, but there is a lot of good in knowing basic things. The OP asked about economics and how to get an idea about it in general, and given that I place just a tiny bit more weight/interest in it than yourself, I suggested blogs, as its easy to become familiar with things without going overboard first thing by getting a book. Someone asked a question, I just answered it in line with their intended subject matter. Given the subject matter, blogs seem a good start, and if you find you really want to delve into econ, then by all means read a book then but thats more than I think you need to do.

Its especially nice to have a superficial understanding of these things in election times when everyone tosses out judgements and plans about the economy or the fed, and it becomes clear immediately those that have zero understanding of how money works in general (almost everyone unfortunately). Theres really nothing more to it than that. Sometimes one interest leads to another and a desire to learn more, even if that doesnt flow directly back into the first reason you started in an obvious way or even ever, sometimes its just learning. I doubt the OP thought learning a little econ was going to make them an ace investor.

"economists have predicted 15 of the last 6 recessions"-ha, no, pure economists dont seem to be great investors on their own.

whitecoatinvestor.com

Reactions: 2 users

2 historical classics, and also cheap in cost:

Wealth of Nations - Adam Smith
The General Theory of Employment, Interest, and Money - John Maynard Keynes