Borderline Application - Apply this Cycle, Next, or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

an45dy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

After reading through this forum for quite awhile, I was hoping I could get some specific feedback.

Originally, I was intending to go into research and obtain a PHD. More recently though, I have decided what I actually want is medical school whether it be a DO/MD or if possible a joint DO/MD-PHD degree.

As a result, I have a lot of lab experience and research down but very little clinical/volunteer experience.

Currently, I intend to volunteer and shadow in addition to my full-time research job for the next six months up to when applications open up in 2011 and apply then depending on my MCAT score.

Question is, my stats are very borderline and I can't really decide to apply this cycle, next cycle, or go into a SMP. This cycle would allow me to save some time whereas next cycle will allow me to build on my ECs and perhaps some research publications. A SMP will allow me to build on my GPA as well as other stuff but would be time consuming and expensive but I am willing to do it if it is needed.

*Retaking courses for the grade forgiveness policy for DO schools is probably not possible as they have changed many of the credits given for classes I have taken.

After looking through SDN for awhile, scores seem to be all over the place and I really just don't know where I stand.

Any advice would be largely appreciated. It's driving me nuts wondering what I should do!

My Stats:
Graduated Last year and currently working as Research Lab Tech
cGPA = 3.411
sGPA = 3.2-3.3
MCAT = Pending but expect 30+
LORS should be strong.
*Cs in Physics, biochem, and genetics
*Two Ws on transcript (One Science, One unrelated mechanical engineering course)
*Family went through bankruptcy through college and had to work a significant amount to make ends meet.
*Practically zero volunteering hours and a bit of shadowing here and there but starting to work on this.

Members don't see this ad.

*Retaking courses for the grade forgiveness policy for DO schools is probably not possible as they have changed many of the credits given for classes I have taken.
You don't have to retake at the same institution. In fact the course needn't be identically named, so long as you can demonstrate similar course content from what's printed in the course catalogs.

If you can get a 30+MCAT, you'd be in good shape for a DO acceptance if the school doesn't require a C+ or above in the prerequisites. Even if they don't: It doesn't look good to get Cs in Biochem and Genetics, so consider retaking even if the credit hour thing doesn't work out. And retake the Physics class if you didn't grasp the material sufficiently to do well on the MCAT.

With a 30+ MCAT, you'd also be a viable candidate for an SMP, especially if you have some recent A science grades to demonstrate your potential.

EC-wise you will not be ready to apply in 6 months considering the skimpy to nonexistent ECs. I recommend you readjust your timeline to a June 2012 submission at the soonest.

While you do have to have some shadowing and volunteer experience when applying for a DO/MD-PhD program, my experience has been that they are a little bit less concerned about this aspect of your application than a normal MD/DO program would be. Programs want to see a lot of research so that you know what you are getting into. Also, something else I learned after applying this year is that whether you decide to do DO/PhD or MD/PhD you will want to apply to a lot of programs (~20) since the programs take so few students (4-15 depending on the program). Good luck with applying! Sorry I can't offer more advice on when to apply (but I would trust Catalystik, he/she is very knowledgeable).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much guys for giving me some solid advice. Perhaps I'll try to just apply to 1-2 schools this cycle and see what happens but primarily aim to apply the next cycle.

More importantly now though, is whether I should go into an SMP program or apply next cycle. I've been reading up a lot on SMP programs but still not entirely sold on it.

Please let me know if what I am thinking is completely wrong.

1.) Applying next cycle without SMP -

Pro:

I could not apply to SMP and use this extra year to build my ECs while retaking 2-3 classes in the meantime (not necessarily replacing grades since they have different credits) or taking new classes. My employer would pay for these classes via tuition reimbursement and thus this route would be cheaper. I would also increase my chances at a joint program as it would allow me to gain more research experience.

Con:

I feel I would in a decent situation to apply to DO schools but very limited in MD schools due to my lower GPA

2.) Taking SMP

Pro:

Would probably improve my application significantly and get me into the rhythm of school again. It would also allow me to obtain better LORs and give me more of a shot into MD schools. Would be more confident going into app cycle and perhaps I could even join a program with some sort of linkage?

Con:

It's expensive and may take me longer to get into med school.

So... do you guys think I'm correct in my logic that I should only do the SMP if I really want into an MD program? Or are SMP programs just really that great for like me if I can get into one?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I should only do the SMP if I really want into an MD program?
IMO, the SMP would be most worth the money if MD is your primary goal. It would not hurt you in the eyes of DO programs, but you could redeem your record in other, cheaper ways.

If you want a wakeup call, you might read the sticky in the Physician Scientist Forum about what it takes to get into an MD/PhD, written by Neuronix.

I have no idea if DO/PhD's are as relatively competitive as MD/PhDs, so I can't tell you what it would take to get into such a program. You should know that they may not be subsidized in the same way that MD/PhDs are by NIH funding. Exploring this may be important to your decision making. Why not call a few programs that have the DO/PhD offering and get more information about what it would take to be competitive.

Thanks again. Appreciate the input. I am fully aware how competitive such joint programs are but thought I'd mention it in case someone had some input on it that I could use.

Given some of the great advice, I will definitely look into SMP programs a little more and get to understand them better so I can make a good decision when the time comes.

Thanks so much.