• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

borderline score... should i take step 2 early?

nutmegs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2003
Status (Visible)
it depends on how well you think you can do. if you have been consistently performing well on your shelf exams you have a chance to study and rock step 2, which WILL help.

excalibur

15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
since when is 221 borderline?

Take Step 2 whenever, man. Don't think it will make any difference.

I opened this thread thinking you were <200. GEEZ!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Per the latest data from the NRMP.

The data below is for US senior anesthesia applicants in 2005. Columns are
Score / # matched / # unmatched / % unmatched

0-190 50 22 31%
191-200 113 21 16%
201-210 156 11 7%
211-220 177 7 4%
221+ 402 3 1%

I really don't think your Step 1 is "borderline".

About the Ads

StealYourFace

15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It depends what type of place you're looking to match at. As excalibur points out, you should have no problem matching into a good program with that score. If you're shooting for a "top program" though, I would say 221 probably is borderline. If you think 221 was low for you and you can do better, I'd say take it again.

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
As usual it all depends on the rest of your application. As others have said, 221 isn't really "borderline", and I can't imagine you not making cutoff, except maybe at 1 or 2 programs....if that. And they might not even look at Step 2 for their cutoff anyway. Your score will open a lot of doors, but the rest of the application counts too. And I'll feel better about shouting that from the rooftops after March 15. :D

Mista Suprane

10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2006
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
And I'll feel better about shouting that from the rooftops after March 15. :D

:thumbup: isn't every day so painful - waiting, waiting, knowing we can't do anything about it? sorry, i just had to acknowledge someone who's probably feeling the same way i am.

to the OP: if you are a DO, take step II early enough so you can send the results in september when your apps go out. i got a 220 on step I, and a 234 on step II, and several interviewers commented on my step II score being good and helping my application despite my average-ish step I. if you're allo, listen to what everyone else is saying. probably no need; might help you at some of the top programs. just don't do worse.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.