Bost-Bac or Master's???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

horns1011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I have a BA in bio and have a really low gpa at about a 2.9 and a science gpa of a 3.1. I am applying this year in hopes that I get a 23+ across the board on my DAT and will MAYBE have a SMALL chance to get in somewhere. However, I am ready to prepare for this next year in order to strengthen my chances for the next app cycle. Would it be wiser for me to do post-bac and just take a whole lot of upper division and try to get a really high gpa in a year or just do a year of master's program?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would talk to the deans of admissions at the schools that you choose to apply and ask them what they prefer. It is better to let them know that you are interested in applying to their schools and follow their recommendations. :thumbup:

Thanks for the input. Is that based on what you have heard or just your opinion?

Mostly opinion based on what I did (also did post-bacc).... I haven't applied yet, I will this june, we'll see how it turns out

First of all...it's "P"ost-bacc!

But yes, do a year of post-bacc and apply, get everything above a 3.0. If that doesn't work out, then go for a Masters.

im having a hard time making this decision as well. im waitlisted at two schools..graduating from college this quarter, and i have no idea if i should do a dental post bacc or 1 year masters program!?

ive applied to the usc/ucla post-bacc and a biochem masters program at my school...but which one is better? anyone with first hand experience in either of these routes?

also..would u guys apply this upcoming cycle as well, or wait until u complete the post bacc/ masters program? thanks for ur help and goodluck everyone :luck:

Why do people say one is better than the other? What are the reasons? I would like to know because I am currently in a Master's.

Also, how much important is course load in post-bacc and master's? My master's advisor basically told me to go with 9 credits a semester for 4 semesters, so that might be a bit low? :scared:

I was at a health fair the other day, and I talked to some admission officers from dental schools. I asked them how they felt about getting a Master's.

One of them told me that, basically dental schools just want to see that you can handle and excel taking a rigorous load of science classes. So, whichever option allows you to do that, should be okay.

At my college, we have a Master's program, but it is more geared towards research. One of the admission recruiters was saying that, rather than do research (unless you're really interested in it), it might be better to be in a program that allows you to take on more science classes to demonstrate your ability to do well in school and possibly handle the dental school's curriculum.

However, be mentally prepared to do well because you want to show good upward trends if your undergrad GPA isn't so high. It probably will not look favorable if you do worse than your undergrad.

Why do people say one is better than the other? What are the reasons? I would like to know because I am currently in a Master's.

Also, how much important is course load in post-bacc and master's? My master's advisor basically told me to go with 9 credits a semester for 4 semesters, so that might be a bit low? :scared:

my 2 cents. Masters 2 year program preferably. I talked to d-schools most like the MS in biology than a post-bac certificate. 2 reasons. 1.simply put 1 is an actual further education degree and 1 is a completetion certificate. And 2. d schools or anyone in general would like to see you so A's or B's in higher more advanced biochem, physiology, anatomy, micro etc. Post bac is usually just repeating your classes, an A the second time around isnt as impressive as it sounds.

Yes 9 credits is slow and not acceptable for d-schools. thats what u need to graduate with a masters 36 units i assume. HOWEVER, you need to take 4 classes each semester to show u can take on a full science courseload. Usually its 3 science and 1 elective (history, drama, poli sci, etc) but if you can take 4 science more power to you. Also take science classes u enjoy when u have the option, you will do better. with 4 science classes each semester your prolly gonna be ringing up about 55-60 units for your masters thats fine to be honest, they usually wont say NO to educating yourself further but make sure u dont fail your thesis units because u cant do research, its a hard path, but if you succeed with a high gpa i cant stress how favorable your chances with d-schools are

everyone is taking 9 credits a semester over here! 9 credits is also what they say is full time over here and is suggested if you do research.

I have been working with a prof outside of my classes, so that may make my low credit count a bit more credible. But then I have 3 principles of biochem/cell/molec biology so that kind of counts as repeat-ish courses, which is probably another negative.

I spoke with a representative from NYU today and she told me that it doesn't matter what courses you took as long as you have taken 6-8 classes, or one year of Master's. I will have 18 credits of Master's in a month, probably 4.0/4.0 GPA. Maybe a single B which will make it 3.8 :S

Last edited:
Hey Guys,

So I have a BA in bio and have a really low gpa at about a 2.9 and a science gpa of a 3.1. I am applying this year in hopes that I get a 23+ across the board on my DAT and will MAYBE have a SMALL chance to get in somewhere. However, I am ready to prepare for this next year in order to strengthen my chances for the next app cycle. Would it be wiser for me to do post-bac and just take a whole lot of upper division and try to get a really high gpa in a year or just do a year of master's program?

I'd go with a masters that specializes in upper science classes like Tulane's 1-year Cell/mole bio program. Also talk to the schools you're applying to. Some schools, if not all, will treat your Masters GPA as a completely new GPA instead of averaging it into your undergrad GPA as a post-bac would do. Therefore, adcoms will just consider your new GPAs. It's an actual degree instead of just an extension of your undergrad degree, and who wouldn't want two more letters after your name? ;)

im having a hard time making this decision as well. im waitlisted at two schools..graduating from college this quarter, and i have no idea if i should do a dental post bacc or 1 year masters program!?

ive applied to the usc/ucla post-bacc and a biochem masters program at my school...but which one is better? anyone with first hand experience in either of these routes?

also..would u guys apply this upcoming cycle as well, or wait until u complete the post bacc/ masters program? thanks for ur help and goodluck everyone :luck:

Im waitlisted at two schools right now and have applied to a few one year masters programs such as Tulane, Barry, and UMDNJ as my backups. I personally think a masters is better because you basically start off fresh with a brand new GPA. It shows dental schools that your ready.

And regarding when to apply, Ive been a little confused about that also, but I heard from most that you should apply WHILE in the program and have your grades sent out asap.

i heard that DSs like to have applicants apply while in progress of their Master's. I got this reply from BU:

It is actually advised to be actively enrolled in schooling during the application process to show your readiness for dental school and dedication to the sciences.

when i asked about whether I need to finish my Master's before application or not.

my 2 cents. Masters 2 year program preferably. I talked to d-schools most like the MS in biology than a post-bac certificate. 2 reasons. 1.simply put 1 is an actual further education degree and 1 is a completetion certificate. And 2. d schools or anyone in general would like to see you so A's or B's in higher more advanced biochem, physiology, anatomy, micro etc. Post bac is usually just repeating your classes, an A the second time around isnt as impressive as it sounds.

Yes 9 credits is slow and not acceptable for d-schools. thats what u need to graduate with a masters 36 units i assume. HOWEVER, you need to take 4 classes each semester to show u can take on a full science courseload. Usually its 3 science and 1 elective (history, drama, poli sci, etc) but if you can take 4 science more power to you. Also take science classes u enjoy when u have the option, you will do better. with 4 science classes each semester your prolly gonna be ringing up about 55-60 units for your masters thats fine to be honest, they usually wont say NO to educating yourself further but make sure u dont fail your thesis units because u cant do research, its a hard path, but if you succeed with a high gpa i cant stress how favorable your chances with d-schools are

Oh, I am wondering, are you in a Master's program or Post-Bacc? I inquired into this issue of 9 vs 12 credits. In graduate schools, 9 credits is considered full time, which is different from undergraduate (or post-bacc) levels. However, I would agree that 9 credits is a bit low nonetheless. But it is full time in MS!

Last edited:
Im waitlisted at two schools right now and have applied to a few one year masters programs such as Tulane, Barry, and UMDNJ as my backups. I personally think a masters is better because you basically start off fresh with a brand new GPA. It shows dental schools that your ready.

And regarding when to apply, Ive been a little confused about that also, but I heard from most that you should apply WHILE in the program and have your grades sent out asap.

If you have a specific dental school in mind you want to attend, definitely wouldn't hurt to apply while IN the Masters program. Make sure you keep in touch with a person or people in the adcom at that school and inform them of your progress in the program. Once fall final exams are done and the grades are finalized/posted, shoot an email to them with your grades and inform them that you are also sending an official transcript their way. They should be able to get it in time to consider you for interviews in the spring.