Boston College Counseling MA

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by princessrosered, Mar 27, 2007.

1. princessrosered

2+ Year Member

I applied to the Boston College PHD counseling psych program and I just got a packet in the mail yesterday informing me that I had been admitted to their MA program in counseling psychology. I don't know much about this program, and it doesn't seem to be accredited by any sort of accrediting body like the other masters programs that I applied to, so I was wondering, what do people know about the program? About attending an unaccredited masters program even if graduates seem to get licensed eventually (albiet slower without the accredidation)?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Shrinkaway

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I dont know too much, as I too applied for the PhD but got into the MA program...but what i don know is that APA only accredits PhD Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychology Programs...so you dont have to worry about a MA program notbeing APA-accredited.

4. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Check THIS thread for more info about the BC program.

-t

5. michalita

michalita New Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I know several people who have gone to the BC MA program and it is excellent. I don't believe that Masters programs in Counseling have to be accredited by any official body the same way that PhD programs do or MSW programs have to be in order to get licensure. You can also do the MA program and then apply for the PhD program when you're done. Their PhD program prefers those with master's degrees already (as stated on their website).

Hope this helps!