Boston College Counseling MA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessrosered

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the Boston College PHD counseling psych program and I just got a packet in the mail yesterday informing me that I had been admitted to their MA program in counseling psychology. I don't know much about this program, and it doesn't seem to be accredited by any sort of accrediting body like the other masters programs that I applied to, so I was wondering, what do people know about the program? About attending an unaccredited masters program even if graduates seem to get licensed eventually (albiet slower without the accredidation)?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know too much, as I too applied for the PhD but got into the MA program...but what i don know is that APA only accredits PhD Clinical, Counseling, and School Psychology Programs...so you dont have to worry about a MA program notbeing APA-accredited.

I know several people who have gone to the BC MA program and it is excellent. I don't believe that Masters programs in Counseling have to be accredited by any official body the same way that PhD programs do or MSW programs have to be in order to get licensure. You can also do the MA program and then apply for the PhD program when you're done. Their PhD program prefers those with master's degrees already (as stated on their website).

Hope this helps!