Boston College vs Northeastern for Pre-Med

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nestudent47

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It looks like my college choices are going to be Boston College vs Northeastern. I'm planning to major in chemistry or biochemistry and hope to go to med school.

I found this old thread: Boston College vs Northeastern vs UMASS Boston

From what I've been able to find, here are some of the pros for each. If you think I have any wrong, please let me know.

Boston College Pros:
  • Better academic reputation / ranking
  • Higher ranked chemistry department
  • More well known
  • More traditional structuring may lead to more stable time to build friendships
  • Stronger alumni network
  • Greater likelihood of graduating after 4 years

Northeastern University Pros:
  • Better access to research and clinical experiences via coops
  • Not as hard to get good grades in science classes
  • More helpful pre-med advisory
  • Less likelihood of needing a gap year

I liked both campuses, and I can see myself fitting in and enjoying either place. Cost would be the same for me. U Mass would cost me less, and I know that a lot of people would recommend it on that basis, but I'm fortunate that I won't need loans for undergraduate or graduate studies, and I'd like to choose between BC and NEU.

Ultimately I'm most interested in which school will give me the best chances to get into medical school. Ultimately, I know that there's probably not a huge difference in that regard, but I'd appreciate any information and advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
wow, it was quite informative. now i will have to dig deeper and get more info on Boston College. it was however, one of my top priorities, due to several reasons, such as proximity and known alumni.