Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Boston Housing

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by guarinis, Apr 24, 2007.

1. guarinis

guarinis Schweet
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    1) Does anybody know of (chuckle chuckle) decent, semi-affordable housing relatively close to Boston? Ideally, no longer than a 1 hr commute.

2) Is anybody in need of housing in Boston in the fall? My SO and I are thinking of maybe sharing a place with one or two like-minded people.

I'd appreciate any ideas!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Livethedream

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Where are you studying/working?

4. KillerDiller

10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Hi. I live around Boston and actually just moved from Philadelphia (well, technically the Main Line) last year...and I'll be going to Suffolk in the fall too, so we have at least a couple geographic locations in common :).

As for where to live, I recommend living outside of the city to the north or to the west. It's much cheaper than trying to live anywhere remotely around Beacon Hill. My SO and I live in Lowell, which can be 30-90 mins outside of the city depending on the traffic (the train takes 45min). I love Lowell (it's a great historic mill town with it's own style and we have a huge loft apartment for only 450 a month each) but I realize many people won't want to live so far outside of the city. There are plenty of closer, nice suburbs though like Alston, Newton, Salem, Quincy and Aleswife. Cambridge is still pretty expensive, and so are most of the suburbs surrounding Boston that begin with W.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. My SO grew up around here and thus knows the area pretty well.

5. guarinis

guarinis Schweet
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I am studying at Suffolk starting this fall. What about you?

KillerDiller:

Thanks for the advice. We certainly won't be able to afford to live anywhere too close to school, but I was also not sure where to look in the outlying areas. I appreciate your suggestions. Lowell looks decent, so I will certainly check that out. Also, do you recommend going through an agent to find housing - you know how on craigslist they all say contact such and such agent and there will be such and such fee?

6. KillerDiller

10+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Well, in all the times I've moved (which has actually been quite a few times in various cities) I haven't bothered to use an agent. I've found all my places on Craigslist or through rent.com. I think some of the major apartment buildings in Lowell (Mass Mills, Boott Mills, 305 Dutton) have their own website. The same is most likely true of other cities in the area, so you can try using google too.

7. Teacher07

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Somerville is awesome and cheap. It is very T-able too... my husband takes the T to work every day. We found our place on craigslist. I def reccomend looking on there.

8. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
    Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    Craigs List is DEFINITELY worth checking out.

-t

9. Anon15

Anon15 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Lowell is pretty far. You can find a place much closer. The "cheapest/safest" places to live in Boston are Allston and Brighton. PM me if you want to know what areas to aviod (crime, violence, ect.)

10. Sorg1123

Sorg1123 Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I lived in allston/brighton for four years, moved to Somerville and then to west Medford. The neighborhoods, rental rates and space got better with each move. Don't use an agent to find your place it's a waste of money. Use craigslist

Allston: Unless you like being surrounded by undergrads, bars, loud evenings, paying too much to rent a small place, searching for parking forevert and crappy public transportation (green line) don't go here. From my experience and that of my friends Allston is not a place to move if you're concerned about safety (who isn't?). There are definitely areas to avoid in Allston, but nice areas exist. Don't move to Roxbury while we're on the topic. Brighton is better than Allston. but you're commute will suck.

Somerville: Awesome. I recommend Davis Square. Davis has a few bars, nice restaurants Right on the Red Line so it's a short commute to Boston (10 - 15 min). Always felt safe and it has an Anna's Taqueria (you'll find out more about Anna's later). I got a much bigger place that I would have paid a lot more for in Allston and a parking spot.

Medford (West Medford): My place in Somerville was a block from Medford so it's pretty much the same scene as Somerville, but a little further away from boston. I recommend West Medford. It is one commuter line stop from North Station in Boston (green and orange lines), takes eleven minutes to get in the city (by rail) and costs the same as regular T fare. Rent is not Lowell cheap but you'll find your self a nice place.

Overall, if you're new to Boston I'd go with Davis Square and work your way from there.

11. Anon15

Anon15 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I tend to disagree. If you are straight out of undergrad I would stay in the city. A bit older, live in Somerville.

12. Sorg1123

Sorg1123 Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Good point. It's easier to get familiar with Boston by living, well, in Boston rather than the suburbs. That said, commutes from Somerville and Medford are pretty short. Allston is cheaper than Boston, but not much
    Friends of mine have been randomly assaulted, robbed (B&E), and mugged in Allston. Granted this has never happened to me personally and during my years there I didn't walk about in fear of attack, but I can't honestly call it safe.

13. guarinis

guarinis Schweet
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    any opinions on malden or newton? i keep seeing listings for those.

also, i am going to suffolk - is there be easy transportation from jamaica plain to that area?

thanks again for all the input.

14. Anon15

Anon15 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I see and that is too bad. Newton is a beautiful city but I am surprised that rent is cheap. The mean age in Newton is probably about 45. Lots of families w/ kids. Also rated "The safest City in America" a few years ago. JP is funky--in a good way-- and sort of up an up and coming area. A T-ride (our subway) from JP to Suffolk will run you approx 30 mins. Due to the high concentration of college students in Boston the T is usually always crowded.

It will be very hard to find parking near Suffolk. All spots are either metered or resident. You would be best taking public transportation. With that said, I say stay in the city.

I may be bias, but I think Boston is a great city. If you going to be here than really be here--live in the city. Good luck and make sure to squeeze in a Red Sox game in between studying.

15. ny1020

2+ Year Member

Well, I can't recommend catching a Red Sox game (I'm a Yankees fan), but
    I also vote for Davis Square/Somerville. It's right next to the Tufts campus, so you'll find lots of assets for students there.

I have several friends who have lived there over the years and they all got great deals with good parking. There's a good chance you and your SO could find other students to live with.

Good luck!

16. Ella_Mental

Ella_Mental Ride 'em, cowgirl!
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    WHOOPSIE.......Congrats =)

17. guarinis

guarinis Schweet
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
  18. manic monday

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    congrats! i live in south boston and absolutely love it...my rent is reasonable (though i live with 2 roommates), and the location is great -- less than a $10 cab ride to downtown, T and bus accessible, and on the beach...also, it is a very popular location for 20-somethings...

that said, when i was picking places to live, it was between southie and somerville, because i know a bunch of people who live in somerville and they all love it...the commute from southie to suffolk would be shorter, but you can't go wrong with either location...PM me if you have any further questions!