Boston Pathology Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ladysci722

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am applying for pathology residency this fall (to start 2010) and was interested in hearing people's thoughts on the programs in Boston. I think there are 5 (MGH, Beth Israel, B&W, BU, and Tufts). I am particularly interested in hearing about how happy the residents are with the program, what the overall feel of the programs is (do people get along with each other, etc.), as well as about the teaching, how competitive the programs are, etc. Of course I know the best was to gather this information would be to rotate through these programs, but I am too impatient for that. Thanks so much for any information you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to hear this alot, but you can utilize the forum search feature to find a lot of prior threads related to those programs... you might want to peruse those first, then post any specific questions you didn't find answered.

The residency interview feedback page might also be helpful...

DBH

Thanks, I didn't know about the interview feedback page. I have been trying to search for information about these programs but have had a hard time finding them, especially about Tufts. Maybe I just need to look harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
i can speak for my interview experience at BU. and keep in mind this was just an interview - but i loved it there. the residents were happy and outgoing, the faculty were welcoming and enthusiastic, and the facilities were all spankin' new . . . and i'm kind of a sucker for cleanliness, order, and shiny things :)

boston is an expensive city, however, and i don't think its the place for me. but i was very, very positively impressed with BU during my visit.

here is your grain of salt; with which you should take any advice on SDN ;)

cheers

Hi, I am still unable to find side-by-side comparisons of these programs. Would somebody please direct me to some links or let me know your thoughts on these programs if you interviewed/rotated/work there? I am geographically limited to Boston for personal (family) reasons and interested to hear people's thoughts on the path programs there. Thank you and sorry for the redundant post.

If you are really geographically confined I would apply to all of them unless you are a real superstar applicant and can bank on BWH...

then head to all the interviews you get and do the analysis with your life goals.

You will get a hundred different opinions on this site, trust me. My opinion is BWH>all, but that is one guy's opinion.

then head to all the interviews you get and do the analysis with your life goals.
Agreed. You need to find the program that is the best fit for you.

1. What are your life goals?
a) Private practice
b) Academic practice with focus on clinical
c) Academic practice with limited clinical practice and predominantly bench research (i.e., you run a lab and you have RO1s)
d) Undecided.

Comment: If your answer is (d), you have effectively ruled out (c) because (c) is the road of most peril and resistance and once the seed of doubt has been planted, you will end up taking the safer option with more money. I've seen it happen to too many people. For (c), you have to identify a postdoc lab early in your training while you are busy learning pathology. You may need mentorship if you're not familiar with the Boston labs (i.e., who are the dickhead PIs who stick multiple postdocs on a single project thereby promoting competition vs. who are the cool PIs who are going places and you can ride his/her coattails).

2. How independent are you?
a) I am very independent and have an accurate mindset of where I want to go.
b) I am somewhat dependent on mentorship and advice.
c) I need someone to set me up in a position to succeed (i.e., the late Ramzi Cotran).

3. How hard are you willing to work (dependent on several personal and professional factors)?
a) 40 hrs per week
b) 50 hrs per week
c) 60 hrs per week
d) 70 hrs per week
e) 80 hrs per week

Comment: At MGH and BWH, you will work hard because these are busy hospitals with high specimen volume. However, you will learn a lot by going through this.

Last edited:
I want to be 100% clear that my assessment that BWH>all is because they have an Au Bon Pain on the first floor below Pathology.

AuBonPain_1.jpg

ABP is everywhere! It gets old really quick.

I want to be 100% clear that my assessment that BWH>all is because they have an Au Bon Pain on the first floor below Pathology.

AuBonPain_1.jpg

Last edited:
ABP is everywhere! It gets old really quick.

This "Millenium Generation/Gen Y" is IMPOSSIBLE to please.

Are you still in Boston? Maybe 4+ years of it would get old. Leave, journey west to California.

This "Millenium Generation/Gen Y" is IMPOSSIBLE to please.
Touche. But I had to boycott ABP when their prices went up too high (there were a number of incremental price increases during my time) even for me. A daily $2 coffee and $10 lunch dries out your wallet quite quickly.
Are you still in Boston? Maybe 4+ years of it would get old. Leave, journey west to California.
Nope. I moved outta there in late June after spending 3.98 yrs there.

No jobs in California! C'mon man, haven't you been reading the other threads??? Just kidding. :)

Touche. But I had to boycott ABP when their prices went up too high (there were a number of incremental price increases during my time) even for me. A daily $2 coffee and $10 lunch dries out your wallet quite quickly.

Nope. I moved outta there in late June after spending 3.98 yrs there.

No jobs in California! C'mon man, haven't you been reading the other threads??? Just kidding. :)

I went to Harvard for undergrad, and the very first croissant I ever had was at the ABP in Harvard Square. It practically melted in my mouth, and ever since, I have had a special place in my heart for ABP.