Boston Post Bacc / SMP 's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kellyalexandra

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello
I have a 3.35 overall GPA and a 3.4 science GPA. I am trying to decide between a post bacc program or SMP. I am leaning more towards post bacc. I am moving to Boston in December and wondering which programs are good and that I should apply to. Right now I am applying to Harvard and possibly BU master of the arts medical science SMP. I am looking for more research opportunities and to enhance my current GPA. I am wondering more about the Harvard program and if there are any other good post-bacc programs in the area. Or if with my GPA I should try an SMP instead?
Thanks so much
😳

Add: Also I forgot to say that I dont know if I should go all the way and do an SMP or just do a post-bacc. Im not sure which would be a better choice considering my GPA. I havent yet taken the MCAT , so I dont know about that yet. Thanks very much
 
Last edited:
If you've completed the pre-requisites, HES doesn't cater towards your type of situation. It can be done at Harvard but it's just not as optimal as other programs.

Of the two choices, I would go with BU MAMS. I'm not sure on their admissions requirements for standardized tests, you can ask Gujudoc about that.
 
If you've completed the pre-requisites, HES doesn't cater towards your type of situation. It can be done at Harvard but it's just not as optimal as other programs.

Of the two choices, I would go with BU MAMS. I'm not sure on their admissions requirements for standardized tests, you can ask Gujudoc about that.

I would do HES pending your MCAT. SMP is an unnecessary risk with your stats. If you do above average on the mcat and can work on your GPA a bit you should have some success.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much for the replies. I am not sure if it is worth the risk, since my GPA isnt horrible. However, I am not sure how great I will do on the MCAT. I am planning on doing a kaplan course and spending about 5 months studying, but I am not great at standardized testing. Maybe I should decide once I get my results back? How high of an MCAT score would I need to be able to just do post-bacc and not SMP?
Also I was looking into the tufts mbs? any suggestiosn?
 
Thank you so much for the replies. I am not sure if it is worth the risk, since my GPA isnt horrible. However, I am not sure how great I will do on the MCAT. I am planning on doing a kaplan course and spending about 5 months studying, but I am not great at standardized testing. Maybe I should decide once I get my results back? How high of an MCAT score would I need to be able to just do post-bacc and not SMP?
Also I was looking into the tufts mbs? any suggestiosn?

I wouldn't feel comfortable applying with anything < 33 unless you raise your gpa at least 0.1