Boston programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOapplicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm hoping to be in Boston for TY/Prelim year.

I'm willing to work, but I'm sure most programs are pretty tought to get into (eg Harvard hospitals).

Does anyone know which are less competitive?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current intern in a Boston area TY program. On average (there are always outliers), TY programs TEND to be more competitive to get into. What does that mean? Board scores higher, a lot of "name" med schools, research publications, yada yada yada. But I, for one, didn't have great scores and I come from a good school, but not an Ivy or Ivy-like school. The only thing I can say is letters of rec and grades are the overall best thing for any applicant (unless you are going into Ortho or Derm :) I had very good 3rd year grades and outstanding 4th year grades and (from what I was told) strong LORs.

In terms of workload--variable. Some TYs have surgery, some don't. Some have 9 m onths of call, and some have 6. You just need to do the research on each program.

Hope this helps!

I would highly recommend Metrowest/Framingham Union Hospital (20 minutes outside of Boston) for TY. I am in my 3rd month of internship there now. Great residents, great administration, decent hours, lots of teaching.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you said Boston, but have you thought about Roger Williams Med. Ctr. in Providence for an IM Prelim year. I rotated there as a third year and most of the prelims I met were there because they thought it had one of the most manageable call schedules of any prelim program in New England; i.e. plenty of time for a life. Pretty uncompetetive. (Back in 03-04) I got the feeling that the program was starting to like its DO residents better than its FMG residents (that may have been due to a new intern class in June 04 that was regarded as weak by the upper levels). If you're from the are you know Providence is only 20-30min down 95, depending on traffic.

Thanks For Your Posts!!