Boston Scientific SCS Trial Frustration

Started by NeuroGuyIP
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NeuroGuyIP

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have really enjoyed using Boston for most of my SCS trials. My biggest complaint is the bulky, archaic lead connectors. I have had two recent trials where the lead has pulled out of one of the connectors. I even started using the 70 cm leads so that I can make tension loops. I always complain to the reps that Boston needs to get with times and redesign. The rep said that this is not a priority of their engineers right now. My most recent trial was with a very thin man and these connectors secured to his back looked huge and bulky. I was worried it might be an issue and sure enough one of the leads pulled out and now he is getting zero coverage on the right side with several days of the trial left. Anyone else have this issue and how would you handle the situation? I feel terrible for this patient.
 
I’ve known implanters say they never wanted to implant Boston again because of this. No similar complaints for Medtronic or Abbott or Nevro.
 
I have really enjoyed using Boston for most of my SCS trials. My biggest complaint is the bulky, archaic lead connectors. I have had two recent trials where the lead has pulled out of one of the connectors. I even started using the 70 cm leads so that I can make tension loops. I always complain to the reps that Boston needs to get with times and redesign. The rep said that this is not a priority of their engineers right now. My most recent trial was with a very thin man and these connectors secured to his back looked huge and bulky. I was worried it might be an issue and sure enough one of the leads pulled out and now he is getting zero coverage on the right side with several days of the trial left. Anyone else have this issue and how would you handle the situation? I feel terrible for this patient.
You're not wrong in your description. I've had that same complaint. However I make sure I tape it and secure it well to the side of the body and put plenty of tension loops and haven't had an issue this far.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with the OPs assessment of the Boston leads, and the connectors.

However this isn’t a dealbreaker as the rest of the Boston tech is good and our local Boston rep is 5x better than the competition, particularly as the local Nevro and MDT reps are terrible.
 
Boston connectors are worst in the industry by far but I like their technology and love the fixate device for implants. Infinion 16 contact leads for trials. No issues with losing trial leads.
 
How much they charging you for these?


Negotiable. We generally pay $100 for 2 leads. If they hear we are using some other company for a few trials, they generally become free. I like our reps here best so they get the majority of trials.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad