Boston Suspect Described as Medical Student

Started by Etorphine
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What kind of medical school would accept a homicidal applicant?

A medical school that interviews applicants and does standard background checks. Hello? Remember the BU craigslist killer? This isn't unheard of. People start killing at all stages of life.

Insofar as my thoughts are concerned, who cares? Anyone can kill, medical student or otherwise.
 
My thoughts are that this is yet another parent who doesn't know how the medical education system works. He is probably a premed student yet his family refers to him already as a medical student or perhaps even doctor.

More importantly, though, is it really relevant what this student studies? Not really, except to remind us that anyone, regardless of career, is capable of homicide.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My thoughts are that this is yet another parent who doesn't know how the medical education system works. He is probably a premed student yet his family refers to him already as a medical student or perhaps even doctor.

This was my thought when I read the article.

More importantly, though, is it really relevant what this student studies? Not really, except to remind us that anyone, regardless of career, is capable of homicide.

Anyone. Any race, any gender, any religion, any reason, any socioeconomic class. I really hope that this does not turn into an Islamic hating issue.

That's exactly what I think is going on.

👍

this is very dangerous thinking and can lead to witch hunts.

👍 :scared:

I have many friends that are Islamic. They are not all radical and terrorists. In fact, all of the ones that I know are very level headed and some of the nicest people that I know. They very vocally state that acts like this are not allowed in the Islamic faith, and only the quacks and radicals follow lines of thought that would end in violence.

I really hope that this does not lead to a "witch hunt" for Islamic "terrorists."

Maybe next time there is a bombing at an abortion clinic, we should just round up all the Christians and burn them at the stake or feed them to the lions.

Yes, find the person/people responsible and give them a fair trial with all the evidence. That is what the American way is supposed to be!

dsoz
 
This was my thought when I read the article.



Anyone. Any race, any gender, any religion, any reason, any socioeconomic class. I really hope that this does not turn into an Islamic hating issue.



👍



👍 :scared:

I have many friends that are Islamic. They are not all radical and terrorists. In fact, all of the ones that I know are very level headed and some of the nicest people that I know. They very vocally state that acts like this are not allowed in the Islamic faith, and only the quacks and radicals follow lines of thought that would end in violence.

I really hope that this does not lead to a "witch hunt" for Islamic "terrorists."

Maybe next time there is a bombing at an abortion clinic, we should just round up all the Christians and burn them at the stake or feed them to the lions.

Yes, find the person/people responsible and give them a fair trial with all the evidence. That is what the American way is supposed to be!

dsoz

+billion for the above statement. The muslims that I have met through school have been, on average, much nicer than most other people.
 
What are you talking about? No it's not.

I think there could be witch hunts for 'homegrown terrorists' . none of these recent criminals have been Muslim. All seemingly normal, fairly achieving college students. don't underestimate the power of large groups of ignorant people overcome with emotion. What I'm worried about is how they are starting to use terms like 'loners' and so on for college students who play a lot of video games.

Witch hunts for 'loner' 'homegrown terrorists' could just as likely emerge with serious consequences. I do think it's still worse for saudi's and Arab's etc... But It could shift because all these recent shooters/bombers have not been Muslim.
 
the suspects are muslims, but lets keep the generalizations out of this thread please

"On the site [facebook], the younger Tsarnaev identifies himself as a 2011 graduate of Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, a public school in Cambridge, Massachusetts."

SOURCE: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/19/us-usa-explosions-suspect-site-idUSBRE93I0JL20130419

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Rindge_and_Latin_School

Cambridge Rindge and Latin School is a public high school. he would have to be accepted in some sort of BS+MD program.
 
Okay, he's not a medical student. I'm surprised NO ONE thought to just google his name -

"Cambridge Rindge & Latin School in 2011" He graduated from high school in 2011. He's a pre-med. There you go. 😛


the suspects are muslims, but lets keep the generalizations out of this thread please

"On the site [facebook], the younger Tsarnaev identifies himself as a 2011 graduate of Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, a public school in Cambridge, Massachusetts."

SOURCE: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/19/us-usa-explosions-suspect-site-idUSBRE93I0JL20130419

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambridge_Rindge_and_Latin_School

Cambridge Rindge and Latin School is a public high school. He is a 2nd year college student.

oops. Thanks
 
I think there could be witch hunts for 'homegrown terrorists' . none of these recent criminals have been Muslim. All seemingly normal, fairly achieving college students. don't underestimate the power of large groups of ignorant people overcome with emotion. What I'm worried about is how they are starting to use terms like 'loners' and so on for college students who play a lot of video games.

Witch hunts for 'loner' 'homegrown terrorists' could just as likely emerge with serious consequences. I do think it's still worse for saudi's and Arab's etc... But It could shift because all these recent shooters/bombers have not been Muslim.

Have you read any of the articles about the two? As others have said, they were Muslim but their own uncle said he thought religion didn't play a part in this. Not sure what part video games plays into this.....
 
The brother that got killed was a second year in med school. He was 26. At least that's what the news is saying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol...my american parents have no idea how the medical education system works. The suspect's Chechen father likely has no idea what his son is doing....he's probably a premed if anything. And who knows how good the translation is....
 
The YOUNGER brother is the one that has been reported to be a medical student. Whether or not that's true, who cares? He gunned down some biddies and clearly isn't one anymore, if he ever even was.

It's been established that the older one is not a medical student.
 
The YOUNGER brother is the one that has been reported to be a medical student. Whether or not that's true, who cares? He gunned down some biddies and clearly isn't one anymore, if he ever even was.

It's been established that the older one is not a medical student.

Right, this is what I've read. The older brother had aspirations of engineering, allegedly.
 
Hes not a medical student, News organizations LOVE to call all pre-meds medical students its so ridiculous. They do it all the time, i wouldn't be surprised if they messed up again.
 
Given the lack of thorough reporting we've seen in the past few days, I'm not surprised in the least.
 
He was shot multiple times and reportedly run over by the Mercedes.
The open chest is likely from attempted open cardiac massage.

That's what I figured. They said thoracotomy was attempted but unsuccessful (well, sources say).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hes not a medical student, News organizations LOVE to call all pre-meds medical students its so ridiculous. They do it all the time, i wouldn't be surprised if they messed up again.

Keep in mind that the family is from a country where medicine is an undergrad-level degree. Easy source of confusion. The guy would be a medical student IF he were studying in Russia.
 
I can't even imagine being the docs who tried to resuscitate him. I know it's not our job to judge people but still... Being treated by the same docs who days before treated the people he maimed and killed. Must have been tough for them.