Boston University Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
melimi said:
the financial aid kind of sux to tell u the truth
the max u can get in scholarships is $7,500 per year
the itrest of it is given as "low interest loans", which are 0% interest during the 4 yrs of med school and then i believe its 5% after u graduate

The only loans that do not acrue interest during school are subsidized loans. The rest (unsubsidized and private) always acrue interest. It is repayment that begins after you graduate. Also, you can consolidate gov't loans and lock in a low interest rate when schools ends. However, private loans you are not able to consolidate and so those interest rates are always variable.

Members don't see this ad.

kc123 said:
I got my financial aid package from BU and I didn't receive ANY institutional loans or grants. Just $38,500 in Stafford loans. Anybody else that is looking at taking out private loans to cover all living costs, fees, etc. I think what really hurt me is that I've worked this past year as a research assistant (so I've made $13,000), but I live on my own (I'm 31), so that money has gone to pay for rent, etc. I haven't been able to save any. My parent are middle class, but divorced, so they are each supporting their own households, and obviously aren't supporting me! I'm just wondering if anybody else has been out of school for a significant amount of time, and finds themselves in the same spot. I'm so reluctant to take out $20K in private loans, which are known to be SO expensive. Thanks in advance for the input!

very few people get by through med school without taking out private loans (obviously, people who get half-tuition scholarships are exempt from this). i've been out of school for a while now (graduated class of 2001) and im' likely taking out private loans also. if its any comfort, you're not alone in this situation.

cammy1313 said:
The only loans that do not acrue interest during school are subsidized loans. The rest (unsubsidized and private) always acrue interest. It is repayment that begins after you graduate. Also, you can consolidate gov't loans and lock in a low interest rate when schools ends. However, private loans you are not able to consolidate and so those interest rates are always variable.

i meant the institutional loans that they give u, those "low interest loans" are 0% for the 4 yrs

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just mailed Tufts my non-refundable deposit so it looks like I will be withdrawing from BU. It was a tough call but I let my gut lead the way. Good luck at BU everyone! Maybe I'll see you around the city!

yo fellow buees. just wanted to send a shout out. im from southern ca and im going to bu for now, pending a couple of waitlists, but excited nonetheless. where's everybody else from? anyone from ucla? anyway, congrats all, and hopefully we have an awesome class.

reviving the thread
kind of wanna get to know those who will be my future classmates
anyone currently living in boston???

I live in Boston....would love to get a group of us together!

kc123 said:
I live in Boston....would love to get a group of us together!

i know, that would be pretty damn kewl
we should go to a pub of some sort

melimi said:
i know, that would be pretty damn kewl
we should go to a pub of some sort

Hey guys

I live in Boston. I'd be down with meeting you guys and getting a few drinks. Any suggestions as to when and where.

soho in brighton?

orleans in davis?

i know those are two very different options (on opposite sides of town), but i like them both....

rattlesnake is also supposed to be nice....

ive never been to soho, but its pretty close to where im at (allston)
i hear rattlesnake is ok, but that its pretty expensive
personally, im a big fan of whiskeys over by the pru (10 cent buffalo wings and $2.50 apps), plus the best whiskey sour in town
i guess wherever is easier for everyone would be great

melimi said:
ive never been to soho, but its pretty close to where im at (allston)
i hear rattlesnake is ok, but that its pretty expensive
personally, im a big fan of whiskeys over by the pru (10 cent buffalo wings and $2.50 apps), plus the best whiskey sour in town
i guess wherever is easier for everyone would be great

Soho sounds good. I haven't been there before so I wouldn't mind trying something new. How about sometime next week during the evening? Mon, Tues, or Thurs are good for me. My name is Rich, by the way.

I could do Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
im good thur, fri and sat
(i get up at 6am mon-thur, so i dunno if i can make it on a tuesday or wednesday)
just lemme know which is best

melimi said:
im good thur, fri and sat
(i get up at 6am mon-thur, so i dunno if i can make it on a tuesday or wednesday)
just lemme know which is best

What time would you like to be in bed by on a Tuesday night? I sympathize. I would also need my sleep if I had to get up at 6am. What if we got together early in the evening, say 6:30ish? Otherwise I can do Friday but I have hockey from 7:30 to 8:30. By the time I shower and get back into the city it will be around 9:30. If you guys won't have other plans after 9:30 on Friday and want to meet then that is okay with me.

I'd probably vote for Friday, so we don't have to worry about work, but I'd definitely do other nights to, if that was best for others.

Where are you all looking for apartments? I've heard Brighton isn't too bad of a commute.....would you just take the 57 to Kenmore and then the #8 bus to BMC? I suppose you could also take the BU shuttle from Kenmore. I should have much more familiarity with the area and the bus systems, given I've lived in the area for awhile, but I'm much more familiar with Cambridge/the red line, etc.

Just seems like there aren't any easy/direct ways to get to BU, but there are a lot of different options (in terms of buses) to consider.

Any ideas? Thanks! Hope it works out for us all to get together..... :oops:

kc123 said:
I'd probably vote for Friday, so we don't have to worry about work, but I'd definitely do other nights to, if that was best for others.

Where are you all looking for apartments? I've heard Brighton isn't too bad of a commute.....would you just take the 57 to Kenmore and then the #8 bus to BMC? I suppose you could also take the BU shuttle from Kenmore. I should have much more familiarity with the area and the bus systems, given I've lived in the area for awhile, but I'm much more familiar with Cambridge/the red line, etc.

Just seems like there aren't any easy/direct ways to get to BU, but there are a lot of different options (in terms of buses) to consider.

Any ideas? Thanks! Hope it works out for us all to get together..... :oops:

Ok let's do Friday, Soho at 9:30. Everybody okay with this? I'd suggest an exact location where to meet but I am not familiar with that bar. Any suggestions?

As for apartments I just moved into a place in the South End. It is a 2 minute walk from the school. The apartment complex is called Parmelee Court . I found it through the OHR BU database. I took a chance moving into a place with total strangers, but my new roomates are dental students and the best roomeates that I could ask for. While it is true that you can commute to BU from just about anywhere using all the buses and shuttles, I think there is no substitute for just being able to roll out of bed and walk to class. I can't stand being on the public transportation schedule. Been there done that and it wasn't for me. If parking wasn't such a problem here I would have gotten a place farther away that was cheaper and driven in. But I couldn't so. the $100 difference in rent to be very close to the school was worth it to me.

i have a question for u guys
has anyone received their federal loans info yet?
i got the BU financial aid package, but nothing about my stafford and stuff
im starting to get worried too

melimi said:

I am also getting worried about the federal loan info. I recieved the BU Preliminary award package back in April. That was just a letter that basically said I don't qualify for any institutional loans. I haven't gotten anything in the mail since. I called the fin aid office and they told me to sit tight. The lady I spoke with told me early July.

melimi said:

I am also getting impatient. I recieved the BU Preliminary award package back in April. That was just a letter that basically said I don't qualify for any institutional loans. I haven't gotten anything in the mail since. I called the fin aid office and they told me to wait The lady I spoke with told me early July. They apparently have to take care of the upperclassmen first.

just a reminder of tonite's get-together at Soho
anyone else up for it?

Hi, everyone--

I'm wondering if the get-together at Soho ever happened! I had something come up last minute and wasn't able to attend....but, I'd love to try to arrange another get-together, if anyone's up for it.

Also, if anyone is still looking for roommates, please PM me. I have found one roommate, but we would like to find one more person to minimize our costs, while finding a place that's as close to school as possible. My roommate will be a fourth year dental student. We are looking together for 3 bedroom apartments near school for mid-late August, or September. He's 25 and I'm 31 (female).

Hope to hear from you!

Sorry you couldn't show. I'd be down for getting together again. I don't know of anyone looking for a place. I asked my roommates (3rd and 2nd year dental students) to ask some people they know. If they have any hits I'll let you know. My aim is androman16. We should chat and try to set up a time to meet. I think melimi is cool with meeting again as well.

kc123 said:
Hi, everyone--

I'm wondering if the get-together at Soho ever happened! I had something come up last minute and wasn't able to attend....but, I'd love to try to arrange another get-together, if anyone's up for it.

Also, if anyone is still looking for roommates, please PM me. I have found one roommate, but we would like to find one more person to minimize our costs, while finding a place that's as close to school as possible. My roommate will be a fourth year dental student. We are looking together for 3 bedroom apartments near school for mid-late August, or September. He's 25 and I'm 31 (female).

Hope to hear from you!

any one else get the packet w/ the Sem 1 sched and all that crappola?
i am so going to dislike orientation, i cant believe its mandatory

androman said:
Sorry you couldn't show. I'd be down for getting together again. I don't know of anyone looking for a place. I asked my roommates (3rd and 2nd year dental students) to ask some people they know. If they have any hits I'll let you know. My aim is androman16. We should chat and try to set up a time to meet. I think melimi is cool with meeting again as well.

Sorry, just saw this message! I don't know why I didn't get alerted to it before.....would definitely be up for getting together.....even though it's almost time to start school! I'm still looking for a good place, if you know of anyone!! PM me, and we can set up a time for a group of us to meet, perhaps? Hope you are doing well.....doesn't it seem as though there is so much to do before school?! My main concerns are the financial aid stuff and an apartment....I'll rest easier once that gets sorted out!

hey, fellow '09ers! anyone living in harrison court? and for those of you not already in boston, when were you planning on moving to the area before orientation? can't wait to meet all you guys!

mintchip said:
hey, fellow '09ers! anyone living in harrison court? and for those of you not already in boston, when were you planning on moving to the area before orientation? can't wait to meet all you guys!

wow.. i JUST found this BU thread haha. i'm living in harrison court :) c/o 2009. i wish it came furnished :\

marilyn said:
wow.. i JUST found this BU thread haha. i'm living in harrison court :) c/o 2009. i wish it came furnished :\

tell me about it! i assume you're flying in from cali. i'm flying in the wk before orientation -- anyone have power tools to assemble boxed furniture? :p

mintchip said:
tell me about it! i assume you're flying in from cali. i'm flying in the wk before orientation -- anyone have power tools to assemble boxed furniture? :p

are you from california, too? i'm coming in 2 days before orientation... luckily, with both my parents, so i can bring more suitcases AND most importantly, daddy will drive me around to buy and BUILD my furniture hahha. 1st stop is home depot or lowes for some tools cuz there's no way i'm bringing a hammer on the plane.