Boston University Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone been in touch with financial aid to see when we might expect to see award letters?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone been in touch with financial aid to see when we might expect to see award letters?

I asked a lady at the finaid office when I turned in my completed financial app last Wednesday... she said I could expect it to come in 2 wks. I need all the help I can get!

My financial aid app was "ready for review" on march 23rd... they told me I should hear back in 2 weeks as well, but haven't heard anything yet.

I hope to find out this week... I'm curious to see what their offer is! I need all the help I can get :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
hey I just got my financial aid award. I turned in mine mid-February. here's mine:

Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM) has reviewed your request for institutional financial assistance for the 2009-2010 academic year. We are pleased to offer you the following institutional assistance and have processed the amounts from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (DL) program as you requested and/or are eligible to borrow.

INSTITUTIONAL AID

FALL SPRING

Rafuse Scholarship $ 3,000 $ 3,000

BUSM Loan $6,450 $3,450

TOTAL $ 9,450 $ 6,450

FEDERAL DIRECT LOAN AID

FALL SPRING

Subsidized $ 4,250 $ 4,250

Unsubsidized $ 6,000 $ 6,000

Super-Unsubsidized $ 10,556 $ 10,555

TOTAL $ 20,806 $ 20,805

idk if this is good or bad. what is super-unsubsidized?

I don't remember the details of it but it's basically the same thing as the unsubsidized; your interest accrues while you're in school.

Whether its good or bad depends if you have any other choices :rolleyes: I'm expecting them to give me mostly loans, too. Did everyone get the email re: tuition increase today? I think the increase is around 2k.

hey everyone!! the open house is in less than 2 weeks, i'm so excited! :D

does anyone know if it's going to be as formal as the interview day, like business/professional, or is it going to be more casual?

does anyone know if it's going to be as formal as the interview day, like business/professional, or is it going to be more casual?

I'm guessing business casual at most. Suits would just be cruel. :)

I would consider something along these lines for revisit:

Riot_Police_at_Esphigmenou.jpg

does anyone know if we're supposed to get a confirmation after we send in our rsvp thingy for the open house?

anyone know about how many hours each day there are classes (with or without labs)?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if we're supposed to get a confirmation after we send in our rsvp thingy for the open house?

I faxed them my RSVP info a couple of weeks ago and I never received confirmation from them.

thank you! sorry I didn't find it myself.

it looks like most of the days, you're staying until 5pm. I heard from some people that you won't have any free time at all while some says you will have plenty of free time to hang out and enjoy life.
Can current students tell us what do most students do after class and on weekends?

Also the Integrated problems, Evidence based medicine, and team based learning, are they all basically just PBL?

it looks like most of the days, you're staying until 5pm. I heard from some people that you won't have any free time at all while some says you will have plenty of free time to hang out and enjoy life.
Can current students tell us what do most students do after class and on weekends?

Also the Integrated problems, Evidence based medicine, and team based learning, are they all basically just PBL?

Most days you aren't there until 5pm....with many the exception of the first month because of orientation and Essentials of public health. How much free time you have depends on how much you study and how you study. There will definitely be times when there is little free time because of up coming exams. Integrated Problems (IP) is small group PBL learning. Evidence based learning is part of the essentials to public health class which is epi and biostats....I guess you could call it PBL...you learn how to you the different search engines that the library has (ex up-to-date, medline, ovid). the team based learning is part of human behavior in medicine, and is infrequent but you sit with you ICM group and go through some cases as a group.

Also with the scedule: IP is 2 hours long and ICM is usually about 3 in the fall and 4 in the spring. Sometimes in the fall you can have both on one day or have them on separate days which is way the graphic of the schedule looks like really long days.

For Anatomy: each body has about 8 students. You then get split into 2 groups of 4 so that only four people are dissecting at once. In the first section: back and limbs; you only dissect once a week and the other group. The next day someone from your group will teach and show the other group what you dissected (everyone has to teach once). For the sections abdomen, thorax and pelvis, and the section head and neck you dissect both days but split each day in half so you are only dissecting for about 2 hours each day.

Free Time
Totally depends on the person. Many people will hang out, go to the gym, in the fall there were some intermural sports teams, people will go out to the clubs or dinner, sometimes to a sporting game, some weekends poeple will take day trips to the beach, hiking, NYC, DC, skiing (after neuroscience finished there was a big ski trip to VT)

Except for labs and group discussions, I do all my work at my apartment. I watch all the lectures online and stop/read/play to get through them. Much more efficient than in-class lectures where, in many cases, I wouldn't have been able to do the reading to prepare for them. Can get kinda isolating sometimes, though.

In terms of free time, I'm not complaining. Except during the real crunch times, I go out once or twice a week with friends. Not like college, but not too bad.

I think of med school as more like a demanding job than school. I have low expectations for my social life.

So I just got my financial aid award from BU and was sooooo shocked to see how the COA goes up to over $81k in the fourth year! The budgetary info they have on the OSFS website shows the tuition consistent at $46,500 for the four years, but in the email they sent me the tuition goes up by a total of $6,000 throughout the 4 years... scary! :scared:

I knew BU was going to be expensive, but definitely not this much. :(

Does anyone know if we are supposed to get a confirmation after we send our tuition deposit?

So I just got my financial aid award from BU and was sooooo shocked to see how the COA goes up to over $81k in the fourth year! The budgetary info they have on the OSFS website shows the tuition consistent at $46,500 for the four years, but in the email they sent me the tuition goes up by a total of $6,000 throughout the 4 years... scary! :scared:

I knew BU was going to be expensive, but definitely not this much. :(
I got mines today too and I'm having the same feelings right now. I've been through this going to BU undergrad but I got a lot of financial aid so the 2k increases every year never mattered much to me. It seems like the large chunk of the increase in COA is room and board. Makes sense but I'm glad they put it right there in front of us like BAM! I don't have sympathy anymore to law grads worrying about their total 60k in loans and that their law firms are paying them 60k to defer employment for a year.

I got mines today too and I'm having the same feelings right now. I've been through this going to BU undergrad but I got a lot of financial aid so the 2k increases every year never mattered much to me. It seems like the large chunk of the increase in COA is room and board. Makes sense but I'm glad they put it right there in front of us like BAM! I don't have sympathy anymore to law grads worrying about their total 60k in loans and that their law firms are paying them 60k to defer employment for a year.
woops, just to be clear...not attacking lawyers/law grads here

It's just that I read this article right after getting the fin aid email so I was not in a terribly good mood. For law graduates, a public-service detour on road to success
http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...s_a_public_service_detour_on_road_to_success/

Would you two mind letting me know if you got them in the mail or e-mail? (Feel like I'm asking about acceptances-but I mean financial aid packages)

I haven't heard diddly squat from financial aid, anyone else in that boat? Turned in all my stuff pretty early, too.

Would you two mind letting me know if you got them in the mail or e-mail? (Feel like I'm asking about acceptances-but I mean financial aid packages)

i got an email this morning, but i actually found out on yesterday because it was posted to my BU web account (the Student Link)... so if you haven't received notice and you already have a BU username and password, you might want to check the Student Link website (in the "money matters" section)

Specialty Program Prelim Program
Anesthesiology Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Medicine-Preliminary Hosp of St Raphael-CT
Anesthesiology B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Anesthesiology Stanford Univ Progs-CA Medicine-Preliminary Santa Clara Valley MC-CA
Anesthesiology Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA Medicine-Preliminary Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Anesthesiology U Utah Affil Hospitals Transitional Deaconess Med Ctr-WA
Anesthesiology UC San Francisco-CA
Anesthesiology B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary St Vincent Hosp-Worcester-MA
Anesthesiology Harbor-UCLA Med Ctr Surgery-Preliminary Univ Connecticut Program
Anesthesiology St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY
Anesthesiology Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT Surgery-Preliminary B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
Anesthesiology PG 2-4 Massachusetts Gen Hosp Medicine-Preliminary Maimonides Med Ctr-NY
Anesthesiology/Crit Care
Combined U Washington Affil Hosps
Dermatology U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor Medicine-Preliminary Mt Sinai Med Ctr-Miami-FL
Dermatology Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Transitional Caritas Carney Hospital-MA
Emergency Medicine Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Emergency Medicine Einstein/Jacobi Med Ctr-NY
Emergency Medicine Univ of Chicago Med Ctr-IL
Family Med/Cherry Hill Swedish Medical Center-WA
Family Med/Cherry Hill Swedish Medical Center-WA
Family Med/First Hill Swedish Medical Center-WA
Family Medicine Brown Med Sch/Memorial Hosp-RI
Family Medicine Contra Costa Reg Med Ctr-CA
Family Medicine Scripps Mercy Hosp-Chula Vista-CA
Family Medicine Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Family Medicine Middlesex Hospital/Middletown-CT
Family Medicine Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Internal Medicine Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Internal Medicine Lahey Clinic-MA
Internal Medicine Olive View-UCLA Med Ctr-CA
Internal Medicine Hosp of the Univ of PA

Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-
NY
Internal Medicine Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY
Internal Medicine U Southern California
Internal Medicine Kaiser Permanente-SF-CA
Internal Medicine Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Internal Medicine
NY
Internal Medicine
NYP Hosp-Weill Cornell Med Ctr-
NY
Internal Medicine Hosp of the Univ of PA
Internal Medicine NYU School Of Medicine
Internal Medicine Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Internal Medicine Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Internal Medicine Queen's University
Internal Medicine B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
Internal Medicine U Southern California
Internal Medicine University of Virginia
Internal Medicine B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
Internal Medicine Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Internal Medicine Stanford Univ Progs-CA
Internal Medicine UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA
Internal Medicine U Washington Affil Hosps
Medicine-Preliminary U Maryland Med Ctr
Medicine-Primary Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Medicine-Primary Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Medicine-Primary Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Medicine-Primary St Vincents Hospital-NY
Medicine-Primary/HVMA Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Med-Peds/Harvard
BWH/CHB Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA

Neurological Surgery Emory Univ SOM-GA
Neurology Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Neurology Barnes-Jewish Hosp-MO
Neurology Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U Medicine-Preliminary St Vincent Hosp-Worcester-MA
Neurology Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary
Caritas St Elizabeths Med Ctr-
MA
Neurology/MGH-BWH Massachusetts Gen Hosp Med-Prelim/Neurology Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Obstetrics-Gynecology UC Irvine Med Ctr-CA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Mt Sinai Hospital-NY
Obstetrics-Gynecology George Washington Univ-DC
Obstetrics-Gynecology Kaiser Perm-Santa Clara-CA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Santa Clara Valley MC-CA
Obstetrics-Gynecology Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX
Obstetrics-Gynecology UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Piscataway
Obstetrics-Gynecology UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA
Ophthalmology Tufts/New England Eye Ctr Medicine-Preliminary Caritas Carney Hospital-MA
Ophthalmology
Univ Texas Health Science Center at
San Antonio Program Medicine-Preliminary
Banner Good Samaritan Med
Ctr-AZ
Ophthalmology
U California (Davis) Health System
Program Medicine-Preliminary Lahey Clinic-MA
Ophthalmology U Chicago Program Medicine-Preliminary Lenox Hill Hospital-NY
Ophthalmology Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary
Caritas St Elizabeths Med Ctr-
MA
Orthopaedic Surgery U Florida COM-Jacksonville
Orthopaedic Surgery Univ British Columbia
Orthopaedic Surgery U Connecticut Hlth Ctr
Orthopaedic Surgery U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor
Orthopaedic Surgery Yale-New Haven Hosp-CT
Orthopaedic Surgery UC Davis Med Ctr-CA
Otolaryngology SUNY HSC Brooklyn-NY
Otolaryngology UPMC Medical Education Prog-PA
Otolaryngology UCLA Medical Center-CA
Otolaryngology St Louis Univ SOM-MO
Otolaryngology Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Pathology Hosp of the Univ of PA

Pathology Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
Pathology Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Pediatrics Childrens Hospital-LA-CA
Pediatrics UC San Francisco-CA
Pediatrics UC San Francisco-CA
Pediatrics Tulane Univ SOM-LA Pediatrics
Pediatrics Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Pediatrics Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U Pediatrics
Pediatrics Georgetown Univ Hosp-DC
Pediatrics Tufts Medical Center-MA
Pediatrics Massachusetts Gen Hosp
Pediatrics U Arizona Affil Hosps
Pediatrics Nationwide Childrens Hosp-OH
Pediatrics St Christophers Hosp-PA
Pediatrics Carolinas Med Ctr-NC
Pediatrics UCLA Medical Center-CA
Pediatrics Rhode Island Hosp/Brown U
Peds-Primary/BMC Childrens Hosp Boston-MA
Peds-Primary/BMC Childrens Hosp Boston-MA
Phys Medicine & Rehab U Washington Affil Hosps
Psychiatry Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Psychiatry
NY
Rad-Diag/Research UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Medicine-Preliminary NY Hosp Med Ctr Queens
Radiation Oncology Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-FL Transitional/Rad Oncolog
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-
FL
Radiology-Diagnostic B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Medicine-Preliminary Caritas Carney Hospital-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY Surgery-Preliminary
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center-
CA
Radiology-Diagnostic Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Transitional Tufts Medical Center-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Surgery-Preliminary Brigham & Womens Hosp-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA Transitional Tufts Medical Center-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Transitional Lemuel Shattuck Hosp-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic George Washington Univ-DC Transitional NY Hosp Med Ctr Queens
Radiology-Diagnostic Winthrop-Univ Hosp-NY Medicine-Preliminary Caritas Carney Hospital-MA
Radiology-Diagnostic U Texas Med Sch-Houston Transitional Santa Clara Valley MC-CA

Radiology-Diagnostic B I Deaconess Med Ctr-MA Transitional Tufts Medical Center-MA
Residency Deferred
Residency Deferred
Residency Deferred
Surgery-General Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Surgery-General Hosp of the Univ of PA
Surgery-General U New Mexico SOM
Surgery-General Eastern VA Med School-VA
Surgery-General David Grant Med Ctr/Travis AFB
Surgery-Preliminary Cornell-New York Hosp/Presbyterian
Surgery-Preliminary Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA
Surgery-Preliminary Univ Washington Program
Urology William Beaumont Hospital Program Surg-Prelim/Urology William Beaumont Hosp-MI
Urology Univ Virginia Program Surgery-Preliminary University of Virginia
Urology Univ South Florida Program Surg-Prelim/Urology U South Florida COM-Tampa
Urology Univ Michigan Program Surg-Prelim/Urology U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor

anyone who went wanna share how it was? i missed it.

hey guys... does anyone know the total number of credit hours we'll have for fall 2009 and spring 2010? i'm filling out the grad plus loan request form and i'm not sure what to put for number of credit hours... :confused:

Are we suppose to get confirmation after we send in the deposit or no?

Also how was the second look?

Are we suppose to get confirmation after we send in the deposit or no?

Yeah, I got an e-mail titled "Boston University School of Medicine; Tuition Deposit Confirmation" around a week after I turned it into the admissions office.

Also how was the second look?

I thought second look was overall good and informative. The day started off with lunch (don't remember what it was, but pretty tasty). At my table were 6 potential BUSM Iers and a couple of faculty, all of whom were nice, unpretentious people. After that, a series of lectures/talks given by important ppl on campus (Dean Antman, Dean witzburg) to congratulating us on our acceptances and advising us on how to choose a medical school.

Faculty presented new and old features of the curriculum, peppered with a few mic-related issues. A student panel answered questions on student life, housing search advice, and strengths and weaknesses of the school.

After a campus tour, there were two sessions of modules presented by faculty and students on topics such as MD-PhD, MD-MPH programs, research and overseas opps at BUSM, how to excel in medschool, etc. At the 'careers in primary care' module, I listened to three primary care physicians talk about their choices and current experiences in the field that I found pretty inspiring. It was nice to know that I could potentially have such talented and passionate physicians as my mentors here. Then at the research/international opportunities module, faculty and current students talked about how BUSM had significant networks globally (and ofcourse, solid research programs) and somewhat flexibility in supporting students interested in doing research/going abroad but the definitely, resources were limited and students wishing to take advantage of these resources should plan early and be resilient throughout the process.

Finally, Dr Lowe gave a finale talk, which I found quite powerful, on how medicine will change us and how we shouldn't be afraid to love what we do. And afterwards there was a SCOMSA-sponsored party in Boston which I passed. From pictures I saw, looked like it was pretty fun. I probably left out alot about the day but that's all i remember.

Last edited:
First of all, let me congratulate everyone on their acceptance. By now you should have chosen which school to attend and I am glad that you have chosen to attend BUSM. I just finished school at BU and did a bunch of admissions tour in Nov and Jan, so I probably met a few of you (I was the nerdy anesthesia / critical care dude). This is an exciting time of your life. Try to relax and enjoy this summer and start fresh in August. Good luck to everyone!

i'm a 3rd year med student who is looking for a roommate asap. 1 bedroom available in a huge, new 2BR condo across from the medical campus. $1300/month. way nicer and bigger than any apartments around the campus. i don't want to write too much on this thread, so please message me if you're interested. thanks!

How easy is it to get around in boston? since our school doesn't have a subway stop nearby..only busses, how convenient is it to go to the BU main campus gym, chinatown, downtown, etc...how long are those trips usually take?
I know there's BU shuttle that goes from the med campus to the main campus but I heard it doesn't run on weekends.

Congratulations to everyone, BUSM is an amazing school, you will love your time here! I'm a 3rd year and am currently looking for a new roommate to share a 3 bedroom at Harrison Court. Here's more info:

Apartment is located in Harrison Court at the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM). Tenants are required to be students at the BUSM (School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, Goldman School of Dental Medicine or School of Public Health). Room is available on August 15th and is $789/month. Move in date has some flexibility.

We’re looking for a new roommate for a partitioned third bedroom in a 2-bedroom apartment, two bath. Bedroom is spacious, great privacy with two respectful roommates and you can’t beat the price! Bedroom has air conditioning, free internet and cable is already hooked up in the room (paid monthly). Apartment has its own washer and dryer. Roommates are two female 3rd year medical students at the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM).

Apartment is located directly across the street from the Boston University School of Medicine and the Boston Medical Center. And is 4 blocks from the CT1 and Mass Ave. and 2 blocks from the Silver Line at Washington Street, both of which transfer to the Green Line (at Hynes or Boylston) or the Red Line (at Downtown Crossing). Groceries, up and coming restaurants and bars, all within walking distance.

PM me if you're interested and I can send you pictures of the apartment!

How easy is it to get around in boston? since our school doesn't have a subway stop nearby..only busses, how convenient is it to go to the BU main campus gym, chinatown, downtown, etc...how long are those trips usually take?
I know there's BU shuttle that goes from the med campus to the main campus but I heard it doesn't run on weekends.
To answer your question in terms of access. There is a BU Shuttle that runs every 30 mins from the medical campus to the main campus. The last stop is at FitRec, the main campus gym so it's quite convenient. It runs on the weekends as well but it's a limited schedule AFAIK. The Shuttle also stops at the Symphony station of Green Line for you to hop on to the street cars or walk to Copley for the train / subway. Otherwise, #1, #10, and CT1 will bring you to Back Bay where you can hop on to other forms of transit. You probably won't need a car for the first two years, but starting 3rd year, a car is recommended since there are away rotations that you would need to get to.