Boston University HEM program,, opinions please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SpringButterfly

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I applied to BU MAMS and HEM (M.S. healthcare emergency management) programs, I got accepted at HEM but received my rejection letter to MAMS program today 🙁

I was really excited about MAMS, but it seems I didn't have luck ... So what do think of HEM program as of my chances of applying to med school after finishing the program, assuming that I do well, hopefully 4.0 or 3.7+?!!

I know that it's a part of the medical school graduate programs & not a regular graduate program but I have no idea if the courses are equivalent to med school or if the curriculum is rigors enough to show that I can handle med school classes!

Does anyone know what is BU grading system? do they have +/- or just 5 letters grades?!

Any thoughts on that?!! Should I put my deposit and accept the offer? is it going to increase my chances to be accepted at med school? are there any advisors/professors that are willing to help with the application process?!

Thanks!
 
Hello everyone!

I applied to BU MAMS and HEM (M.S. healthcare emergency management) programs, I got accepted at HEM but received my rejection letter to MAMS program today 🙁

I was really excited about MAMS, but it seems I didn't have luck ... So what do think of HEM program as of my chances of applying to med school after finishing the program, assuming that I do well, hopefully 4.0 or 3.7+?!!

I know that it's a part of the medical school graduate programs & not a regular graduate program but I have no idea if the courses are equivalent to med school or if the curriculum is rigors enough to show that I can handle med school classes!

Does anyone know what is BU grading system? do they have +/- or just 5 letters grades?!

Any thoughts on that?!! Should I put my deposit and accept the offer? is it going to increase my chances to be accepted at med school? are there any advisors/professors that are willing to help with the application process?!

Thanks!

What are your stats and background? This would help.

If you have <3.5 uGPA and an MCAT 31+, go there and do well (3.8+) in that program and it will help. I would strongly recommend a more traditional SMP at ANY school over the BU HEM program.
If you have <3.5 uGPA and an MCAT <30, then you'll need to do well in grad/post-bac AND retake the MCAT.
If you have >3.5 uGPA and an MCAT <30, dont waste your money just focus on the MCAT.
 
Last edited:
My background or my academic history I guess need to be fixed with a graduate school!

I started college at an American school in Lebanon. I wasn't doing well there and I failed classes and I had academic probation also! My GPA at that school was ~2.5 (we used percentage it was 73%). Anyways, I transferred to the U.S. and my school started a new GPA. I graduated with a 3.7 overall and 3.8 science GPA. However, if you would calculate my transferred credits (only the transferred ones not everything I have taken at my old school) into my GPA it's 3.45!
I've been on the Dean's list every semester I spent away from my old school (4 semesters + 2 summer sessions). I think it should be good considering the maximum load of credits I was taking every semester to graduate on time (19 credits regular semesters & 15 credits in the summer)!
I'm a member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key International Honor Society! There is a HUGE progress on my academic performance!
I explained the reasons (the wars & unstable environment in Lebanon) for not doing well before on my personal statement and I applied to Irish med schools. It seems it didn't work! I got 3 rejections & waiting for 3! I got rejected from schools that doesn't require MCAT at all. So, it wasn't my MCAT score that led to the rejection!

My MCAT is below 30, so I will definitely re-take it. However, I need to do something while re-taking it!

I have a scholarship to study medicine (includes the pre-medical studies) that I was awarded because I graduated from high school with honors (graduated with 98%) and they won't pay for non-degree classes. So, post-bac isn't an option!

Why would you suggest other SMP over HEM? It's taught at the school of medicine as well & I think it might be considered harder than graduate school classes!?!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My background or my academic history I guess need to be fixed with a graduate school!

I started college at an American school in Lebanon. I wasn't doing well there and I failed classes and I had academic probation also! My GPA at that school was ~2.5 (we used percentage it was 73%). Anyways, I transferred to the U.S. and my school started a new GPA. I graduated with a 3.7 overall and 3.8 science GPA. However, if you would calculate my transferred credits (only the transferred ones not everything I have taken at my old school) into my GPA it's 3.45!
I've been on the Dean's list every semester I spent away from my old school (4 semesters + 2 summer sessions). I think it should be good considering the maximum load of credits I was taking every semester to graduate on time (19 credits regular semesters & 15 credits in the summer)!
I'm a member of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and Golden Key International Honor Society! There is a HUGE progress on my academic performance!
I explained the reasons (the wars & unstable environment in Lebanon) for not doing well before on my personal statement and I applied to Irish med schools. It seems it didn't work! I got 3 rejections & waiting for 3! I got rejected from schools that doesn't require MCAT at all. So, it wasn't my MCAT score that led to the rejection!

My MCAT is below 30, so I will definitely re-take it. However, I need to do something while re-taking it!

I have a scholarship to study medicine (includes the pre-medical studies) that I was awarded because I graduated from high school with honors (graduated with 98%) and they won't pay for non-degree classes. So, post-bac isn't an option!

Why would you suggest other SMP over HEM? It's taught at the school of medicine as well & I think it might be considered harder than graduate school classes!?!

I think that the HEM program would be a great program, but I think that a SMP would still far outweigh a non-SMP program. Many schools either have a linkage program built in with their SMP or give some additional consideration to these applicants. However, after thinking most SMPs most likely have stopped taking applicants. I would highly prioritize scoring above a 31/32 and doing well in your program that you have already gotten in. I would take that acceptance and move forward, don’t worry about the grading system. I don’t know what it is, just go into the program and kill it. You do that and score a 31/32 and you should get in if your other ducks are in a row (clinical exposure, volunteering, and research). Feel free to PM me. I’ll be going to BU this fall as well, maybe we’ll see each other.