Botox and EMG denials by PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doctor Christmas

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,
Has anyone come across insurance denying payment for EMGs/Botox for migraines done by PM&R? I was reading a thread on Phyzforum saying some insurances are denying payment for these procedures done by PM&R and only Neuro can do them? How is that possible?
 
Haven't heard of that, but there are strict criteria for botox being approved for migraines by most insurers (I think you have to fail a few meds first and still have at least 16 migraines per month) so if you don't know the rules it will get denied no matter who you are.
 
Haven't heard of that, but there are strict criteria for botox being approved for migraines by most insurers (I think you have to fail a few meds first and still have at least 16 migraines per month) so if you don't know the rules it will get denied no matter who you are.

That's not what I'm referring to though. I'm referring specifically to PM&R trained docs in California having insurance deny payment for Botox administered by PM&R vs. Neuro. Same with EMGs - denial of EMG by PM&R but not neuro trained docs.