Bottom line best books for step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PELE#10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to get some input on the best books to review. I have heard that
1-crush/secrets
2-boards and wards(3rd edition)
3-Usmle World

I also have the kaplan books and videos and was planning on doing those as well. Do you guys think that this is a good plan or is the kaplan stuff overkill?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was told those exact same sources and so far USMLEWorld is amazing, but I feel that CrushUSMLE is too basic in comparison to the USMLEWorld questions. I know that the USMLEworld questions are meant to be harder than step 2 but Crush barely goes over a lot of important topics; I feel like it just focuses on key points that will probably be enough so that you pass the boards and it also assumes a fair amount of baseline knowledge. Anyone using First Aid for Step 2? Is it any good?

Anyone using First Aid for Step 2? Is it any good?

I really like FA, it seems to have a lot detail and the print is a lot bigger then B&W. Plus, I'm a sucker for a stupid mnemonic.

I started out with the intention of using Crush/Secrets as my main text and USMLEworld (UW) as my primary question source. Crush/Secrets was AWFUL!! As noted, it is WAY too simple and general without nearly enough details. I realized this early in the game and switched over to First Aid (FA) for Step 2-CK. I am also very fond of FA, as it has enough detail to do very well and, as mentioned, excellent mnemonics as well. I do not have enough knowledge of Boards and Wards to comment on its usefulness. UW has nice questions. In summary, I would HIGHLY recommend First Aid as a text and UW as a question source!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i chose b&w over fa but am now kind of regretting it.
the print in b&w is really small, has fewer images, and less specific about which tx in on situation (eg symtomatic) vs another (eg asymp).

personally i thing crush/secrets is a great ADJUNCT. some ppl use it alone but i agree with above posters that on it's own it misses a lot of hy info.

good luck. it's almost test time for me. :)

I am using B&W, along with crush and UW. I think in combine they are all you need/ have time for...

Speaking of Adjunct resources, there is a book called "Deja review" for Step 2-CK. I purchased it b/c it got rave reviews from amazon.com. I started to use it early on, but did not cnotinue as it's best used once one has the fundamental concepts/knowledge down, which I did not at the time. I am going to continue with FA from now until test time (8-7, unless I postpone again!) but, if I have some extra time, I think Deja would be a good way to brush up on some key concepts in a fairly time-efficient manner!

Btw, I wanted to comment on the Kaplan material. I had a light schedule, so I was considering a Kaoplan course or, at least, reviewing Kaplan material. I think the Kaplan material is VERY time and labor intensive! It might be useful and thorough, but it basically requires that one have a lot of free time to dedicate, almost exclusively, to Step 2-CK preparation. I decided against using the Kaplan material, as I thought it did not provide very much "bang for the buck!" I was not fond of the idea of reading through several pages of text to hone in on the few sentences/words that were critical. I would say that the Kaplan material is unnecessary and, if you start using it, you might begin to feel frustrated and bogged down by the amount of material you have. The videos would be tough to work with as well, having to pause, take notes, etc. If you stick with FA, UW and maybe Deja or B&W, you should do well! Just try to have those resources down!
PELE#10 said:
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to get some input on the best books to review. I have heard that
1-crush/secrets
2-boards and wards(3rd edition)
3-Usmle World

I also have the kaplan books and videos and was planning on doing those as well. Do you guys think that this is a good plan or is the kaplan stuff overkill?

Thanks