"Bound by law to offer gender affirming advice."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I personally think that there have always been a variety of people who don’t identify with their biological sex for a variety of reasons. For some it’s more about gender roles and for some it is more about physiology and every shade in between. When I talk to these individuals, their thoughts on it and their perspective on how to address it is highly individualized. I attempt to take a non-judgemental stance and try to help them understand their own experience of this and validate that. I think questions on how to treat this from a medical standpoint should not be in the hands of politicians and the only way for us to discover best practices is to continue to treat each patient individually and then see what happens. It is a societal experiment that is completely uncontrolled and that is obviously scary and risky, but the only thing scarier is to act as though we have a solution from either political side when we really don’t and can’t since we can’t experiment on people and especially not kids.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Im not saying that YOU are saying that hormones isnt happening, that was to another person. This thread is getting out of hand in the sense its hard to follow. I don't believe that was a valid critique of litmans study but other studies show around 80% of kids who identify as gender confused grow out of it or simply identify as gay when adults. The fact that we are seeing teenagers, mostly girls, one day identify as trans without ever exhibiting other symptoms as young children (when we have a very long diagnostic history of gender confusion) also suggests theres more to it. Studies also show that there is large overlap between those who identify as trans and autism (no I am not saying trans people are autistic). Yes, genuine trans people exist and deserve respect full stop. However, these activists and parents who are championing toddlers and teenagers as trans is wild and should not be encouraged by professionals. Even older members of the community say as such. It is poor practice of any field, especially the medical field to do such experimentation on kids.

Any chance you could provide a URL? I've tried searching their website, but the search function links to multiple position pieces and it would be difficult to go through them all and try to interpret/identify which you are talking about.
You are being redirected... This is my reference to medical interventions being harmful for kids. Even the UK and Nordic countries are starting to move away from such treatments as hormone therapy for kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I would use the AC Peds group as "evidence." Multiple researchers (e.g., U of Minnesota) have called them out for misrepresenting their work to push their fringe agenda. I wholeheartedly agree that a broader discussion should be had and further research is needed, but this group is a shady activist organization also tied to debunked antivax claims.

Reactions: 1 user
If most “gender confused” children grow out of it, then gender affirming therapy should theoretically detect that. If their gender incongruence persists, then medical intervention is taken. At our current level of understanding, there is no better way to address this issue without risking putting genuine trans children through further distress

Reactions: 1 users
You are being redirected... This is my reference to medical interventions being harmful for kids. Even the UK and Nordic countries are starting to move away from such treatments as hormone therapy for kids.
Thank you. Is your evidence the link page, or one of the articles referenced on that page? The page you link to is appears to be a blog, with no byline indicating authorship and no references. Doesn't really meet any basic definition of "evidence" as far as an academic debate/discussion is concerned.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. Is your evidence the link page, or one of the articles referenced on that page? The page you link to is appears to be a blog, with no byline indicating authorship and no references. Doesn't really meet any basic definition of "evidence" as far as an academic debate/discussion is concerned.

Well, this is the same group that claims conversion therapy has good evidence, among many other demonstrably false advocacy pieces. Apparently the cure for inadequate research in an area is to just find the opposing side and accept that, despite even worse academic rigor.

Well, this is the same group that claims conversion therapy has good evidence, among many other demonstrably false advocacy pieces. Apparently the cure for inadequate research in an area is to just find the opposing side and accept that, despite even worse academic rigor.
I'm totally aware of what the American College of Pediatrics is all about, as I suspect that poster is.

In other news, the earth is flat! Here's the evidence: The Flat Earth Society

You people are so anachronistic speaking about "gender-affirming" care when we should all be practicing identity-affirming care. Gender is an important component of a person's self-concept, but so are race, SES, height, ableness, ancestral memories, nationality, etc. If a seemingly white American with caucasian parents identifies as a black man from Sichuan, then we are ethically obligated to treat that as a fact. Objective reality does not exist, and it's more clinically relevant to attend to a patient's "truth" or subjective reality.