brachial artery art lines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southeastgas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you place them?
why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

I place brachial art lines all the darn time. One shot for the radial if not up goes to brachial . no complications.

I'll try radials multiple times, and if I can't get it, I will consider femorals. If the femoral is not feasible, or if it is just too much trouble to take the patient's blankets off and get to the legs (private practice), I will do a brachial if it is easily justified for the case.

You may ask then why am I doing radials in the first place if the indication is not justified? Sometimes, you just have to make an executive decision, and sometimes the indication for a radial is soft. Doing a AAA repair on a guy with CAD, CHF, etc., I will do a brachial. Doing a multi-level spine fusion with a deft surgeon on a guy with CAD s/p MI but good functional status? Soft call, but to me it is not as clear cut as the carotid, so I would just ditch the line alltogether if I had trouble with the radial.

So basically I prefer radials, and if I have trouble, only the strong indications get brachials. I do think brachials are not as safe, but I can't find compelling data to back me up. The vascular surgeons I work with don't like them either and would prefer radials or femorals.