Brachial plexus question

Started by TheCelt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TheCelt

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this. I just wanted clarification on a brachial plexus question. If for example Roots C5 and C6 were compressed this would effect the musculocutaneous nerve but would it also impact upon the median nerve as this is one of the branches from C5/6 but also receives input from C8/T1 . Would any symptoms thus manifest in the for e.g fingers?
Equally in a lateral part fracture of the clavicle with posterior displacement (which I assume would impact C5/C6?) what would the effected nerves be, just trying to clarify for myself.

Thanks.
 
The general rule is that the sensory component of the median comes from C5-C6 via the lateral cord, and the motor component comes from C8-T1 via the medial cord. The symptoms in the hand from a C5-C6 injury would be numbness of the first three digits with sparing of hand intrinsic musculature (exclusively innervated by C8-T1).

A displacement of the clavicle posteriorly is likely to injure the brachial plexus. I thought the posterior cord was more commonly affected, but I don't deal with trauma often.