Question for attendings with CNP background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xenotype

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have a straightforward question. I have prior CNP fellowship but have not yet taken the certification. I don't do any EMGs in practice or plan on doing any in the future as my practice is heavily inpatient and EEG focused, and I have no plans for academics. In light of ABPN MOC fees is CNP board certification even worthwhile to obtain? Obviously the general neurology ABPN certification has to be maintained, but what is the real benefit to CNP certification? A failure on this test will potentially have to be disclosed in malpractice cases, recertification requires substantial recurring additional fees, and it would seem in private practice no one really cares about this certification. The most difficult portions of the test are EMG focused and things like evoked potentials and sleep studies I do not and will not ever read, so the relevance to my practice is minuscule. It also seems like one can come back and take the certification at any point in the future if it is actually needed (eg the 7 year limit applies only to general neurology boards). Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I did CNP added qualification certification on the very first exam circa 1991 and have recertified twice and am now doing article based MOC. I have been in private practice x34 years and the only time it has mattered is during voire dire when I testify in medicolegal proceedings. I think it does add credibility to your testimony. In court on direct exam the attorney that has engaged my services always goes through the significance of all the boards, particularly when CNP findings are at issue.

I did an EMG/EEG CNP fellowship. I have continued to do both EMG and EEG. In the community setting, no one has asked me about not being CNP boarded.

Thanks for the input. It seems like a complete waste of money. I am sure if one is doing expert witness work specific to CNP findings you'd need it but this is a very specialized area, and not having the board isn't going to have much impact in the extremely rare event of getting sued for EEG findings. Having to keep up with two MOC fees to maintain it is also ridiculous. The only other place I can imagine it being useful is if one wants to do IOM.