brackets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hospitaldoctor1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does AMCAS look at GPAs?
My cumulative science GPA is a 3.49538....
Will I be considered in the 3.4 bracket or 3.5 bracket? How does it work exactly?
*For example, is a 3.495 GPA the same as a 3.482 GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How does AMCAS look at GPAs?
My cumulative science GPA is a 3.49538....
Will I be considered in the 3.4 bracket or 3.5 bracket? How does it work exactly?
*For example, is a 3.495 GPA the same as a 3.482 GPA?

Also, which looks better in comparison?
Having a 3.69 gpa vs. a 3.67 gpa
OR
Having a 3.71 gpa vs. a 3.69 gpa

they only see 2 decimal places. so if you have a 3.49538, you'll be rounded to 3.50 (assuming AMCAS' computer system rounds up with 5s).

and obviously, a 3.69 looks better than a 3.67, and a 3.71 looks better than a 3.69. not complicated.

None of us know how adcoms see GPAs, and it varies from school to school.

Besides it's not like you can really plan out your GPA. Just do the best you can in your classes so you'll get the highest GPA possible. Whether that .02 looks better when it's a 3.71 or a 3.69 is really irrelevant. The higher the GPA, the better it looks. Period.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will they round or not?
Will my 3.4953 be rounded to the 3.5 or stay a 3.4?
How do i find out?

How do I find out before the process?
Has this happened to anyone before? Were they rounded up?
Has anyone ever calculated their gpa and received a higher gpa?

You should really try and relax, my friend. There are four threads on the front page right now that you've started and two of them are about GPAs. The fact of the matter is, your GPA is going to be what it's going to be. There's no use obsessing over how schools are going to view it or what "bracket" it'll put you in. You're only going to stress yourself out even more. Do yourself a favor and spend some time away from SDN and give yourself a chance to relax.

how does it vary from school to school

Adcoms do not have a universal set of GPA brackets. GPAs are rounded to two decimal places. So the 3.4953 would be a 3.50. A 3.4943 would be a 3.49. I mean that different schools have different cut offs and place different weights on the GPA. One may view a 3.50 and a 3.49 as the same. One may not.

You should really try and relax, my friend. There are four threads on the front page right now that you've started and two of them are about GPAs. The fact of the matter is, your GPA is going to be what it's going to be. There's no use obsessing over how schools are going to view it or what "bracket" it'll put you in. You're only going to stress yourself out even more. Do yourself a favor and spend some time away from SDN and give yourself a chance to relax.

This. Calm down. Please.

I actually had a similar question earlier; when it came to assigning courses as BCPM, I sort of had some leeway. I ended up not listing a course as BCPM because my GPA would have gone from 3.500 to 3.509 - I figured it was more important for me to get 3 humanities courses instead of 2, in exchange for a 0.009 change in BCPM GPA.

I actually had a similar question earlier; when it came to assigning courses as BCPM, I sort of had some leeway. I ended up not listing a course as BCPM because my GPA would have gone from 3.500 to 3.509 - I figured it was more important for me to get 3 humanities courses instead of 2, in exchange for a 0.009 change in BCPM GPA.
So what is the question?

How do I find out before the process?
Has this happened to anyone before? Were they rounded up?
Has anyone ever calculated their gpa and received a higher gpa?

Stand back folks. This one might explode.

Stand back folks. This one might explode.

hahahahaha :thumbup:

seriously, OP, do you realize you're talking about a different of 0.01? :rolleyes: as i said before, they look at TWO decimal places, so you'll either be at 3.50 or 3.49. take a chill pill.