Brain block, can't remember how to do probability question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adventure-time

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a quick question regarding probabilities.

Lets say I'm about to shoot a firework at my chest.

The outside jacket is 93% effective in preventing burns. I also have an inner jacket that is 89% effective in preventing burns. Then finally, I have an inner shirt that is 70% effective in preventing burns.

With all these precautions, what would be the probability I would get burned?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe this is an AND question since you can get burned by all 3 jackets. Not sure if that’s correct but then it will be:
Probability of getting burned by outer jacket X probability of getting burned by inner jacket X probability of getting burned by shirt
= 0.07 X 0.11 X 0.3 = 0.00231. Is that the answer?

I believe this is an AND question since you can get burned by all 3 jackets. Not sure if that’s correct but then it will be:
Probability of getting burned by outer jacket X probability of getting burned by inner jacket X probability of getting burned by shirt
= 0.07 X 0.11 X 0.3 = 0.00231. Is that the answer?

I'm not sure if its an "And" question, but I do know that they want me to calculate the probability of being burned in with the individual probabilities of each jacket and shirt taken into account.

Ok, so I thought about it and this is what I did (which was the same as you, so I think we are correct?).

100-93 = 7.0/100 = 0.07
100-89 = 11/100 = 0.11
100-70 = 30/100 = 0.30

.07*.11*.30 = 0.00231 * 100 = 0.231%.

I think that we agree?