Brain Imaging for Newbies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preapoptosis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am new to brain imaging, and I was wondering if someone could briefly tell a neophyte what are some of the differences/benefits to the various brain imaging software that's out there. What do you guys think is the best? I have heard and seen several names of software thrown around, but I am getting bit confused on what is used for exactly what (i.e. image collection, data analysis, etc).

Various brain imaging things I have now heard of but am unclear of their exact usage:

-Brain Voyager, SPM, & FSL
-MRIcro
-E prime

Sorry if this is a lame question, but it gets a little confusing reading all these journals sometimes! Unfortunately, it seems that a Google search only leads you to journals and not to definitions. Thanks for any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your question is not a Radiology question, but a fMRI research question. They are very separate and distinct things and medical students/Radiology residents/attendings are not exposed to what you are asking about unless they do that specific kind of research. My recommendation is to download the different software you have mentioned (I recognize several of them as being free) and play around with them. If you are working on a research project, your seniors should be also be able to tailor what you need to do to a software package.