W

Woodsy

I was wondering how many of my Canadian brothers and sisters are going down to greener pastures (literally, we're covered in snow for half the year) in the USA to study?

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Status (Visible)
I dont know if greener pastures was a good term to use because most Canadians goto private Northeastern dental schools where the weather is the same as in Canada. Nova would be the only exception.

Hey Dream...whats your status on Canadian schools? Since you are an albertan resident, I thought it was quite easy for you to goto a dental school in ALberta, because there is no competition from out-of-province applicants...

About the Ads

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Status (Visible)
Yeah I wish it was that easy. UofA's class size is 32, and 29 of those seats are for Albertans. Sounds good, but when you have 200 albertans competing for those 29 seats, it suddenly sounds a lot harder.

I havent heard anything from UofA yet, and I know they started their interviews. Doesnt look like a good sign.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by primerz
Isn't Canada our 51st state?

Yeah, this joke was funny the first time. But since this is the 2 billionith time this joke has found its way on here, it just doesnt tickle my funny bone as much as it did before.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by Dentaldream
when you have 200 albertans competing for those 29 seats, it suddenly sounds a lot harder.

29/200*100 = 14.5% Enrollment rate.. this is 2-3 times more than a typical US dental school acceptance rate.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Originally posted by Comet208
29/200*100 = 14.5% Enrollment rate.. this is 2-3 times more than a typical US dental school acceptance rate.
You can't compare acceptance rates at one school to enrollment rates at another. Enrollment rates will necessarily be much lower than acceptance, no matter what school you look at.

Bickle

future NYC taxi driver
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2003
red sox nation
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Comet208

Yeah, but of those 200 applicants, 75-80% of them have an A- gpa. I know for a fact that isnt the case at most US schools.

There must be something in the water up here that makes everyone so smart, its a shame it didnt work for me.:mad:

W

Woodsy

Originally posted by avingupta
I dont know if greener pastures was a good term to use because most Canadians goto private Northeastern dental schools where the weather is the same as in Canada. Nova would be the only exception.

Hey Dream...whats your status on Canadian schools? Since you are an albertan resident, I thought it was quite easy for you to goto a dental school in ALberta, because there is no competition from out-of-province applicants...

other than new engliand they are still warmer than here.

Comet208

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2002
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by Dentaldream
There must be something in the water up here that makes everyone so smart, its a shame it didnt work for me.:mad:

Its not in the water, but rather in the air. The weather up there is often so cold that makes you sit home and study. :D

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by blankguy
No, Mexico is the 51st state.

I live 20 minutes from the Canadian border. Around here Canada is the 51st state. I don't know dentaldream, the joke is still funny to me, maybe b/c I'm on the other side of it.

But anyways, speaking of Canada, I'm trying to make a list of things I'm gonna miss when I leave Buffalo. So far, 2 of the 3 things on my list are Canadian. #1) Tim Hortons is fantastic - I can't think of anything that compares. Coffee (better & cheaper than Starbucks), soup, donuts, and sandwiches all in one store. Mmmmmmm... #2)The radio stations from Toronto are pretty good too, they play some music that you don't hear till months later or possibly never on the American stations.

I know, it's off topic, but Canada ain't so bad.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Status (Visible)
Canada is the 51st state in Buffalo??? HHAHAHAH...oh my god thats hilarious? Is that why all those Buffalo teenie boppers think when they come over the border to drink at 19? Or how bout all those Buffalo residents who constantly come to Toronto because Buffalo is a hole??

In the last election in Rochester, they had a referendum question on their ballot asking the residents what to do with a surplus of money the city had. An overwhelming majority voted to create some link between Rochester and toronto. This summer will be the first summer of the Rochester ferry, which will take the lovely residents of Rochester on a ferry to the UGLY DIRTY industrial port of East Toronto. I guess those Rochester peeps will do anything to come to Toronto...even if it means landing on some industrial waste! Why?

CAUSE UPSTATE NEW YORK BLOWS!!!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.