Brainstorming...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We need to come up with ideas to make path more cool and market friendly...something like Botox...some type of cash up front thing that insurance would never cover but everyone would want....

Ill give a prize for the best idea.

Members don't see this ad.

LADoc00 said:
We need to come up with ideas to make path more cool and market friendly...something like Botox...some type of cash up front thing that insurance would never cover but everyone would want....

At the fear of ridicule from the great LaDOC... :laugh: :laugh:

An old person s fear.....
1) comprehensive cancer screening test panels, something similar to comprehensive CT scans of the body (already exist right? or do they?)

A youngster's nightmare....
2) Acne susceptibility testing

A philanderer s scare....
3) "STD off the shelf,test yourself kits" -

Customer - "aha!.....I have gonorrhea!"

For the athlete.....
4) "molecular" fitness tests/laboratory based testing of increasing fitness (dont know what im saying)..

LADoc00 said:

Now this is what SDN should be all about. Instead of whinning about how to tell a residency director that you're ranking his program #2, we should be discussing the future of our field and how to generate potential income. Be creative. Think outside the box. No such thing as a dumb answer.

Here's one: Elective chromosome analysis. The obvious pitfall would be the Pandora's Box it could potentially open up, but if you frame it for those at high risk (relatives of leukemia/lymphoma patients, for example) maybe it could fly as a cash-only revenue steam.

I'll keep thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
pathdawg said:
Now this is what SDN should be all about. Instead of whinning about how to tell a residency director that you're ranking his program #2, we should be discussing the future of our field and how to generate potential income.

Give me a break. If you want more threads like this, start them. Many of the posters on here right now are concerned about getting into residency next month, and not yet worried about how to generate income when we are done with our training in many years. These are the studentdoctor forums. I guess when you were an M4 you didn't have any worries or want any advice about matching.

We could provide everyone with a nice picture of their tumor. Nice glossy paper, framed perhaps. Put it on your wall.

0eb96ab2.jpg

pathdawg said:
Here's one: Elective chromosome analysis. The obvious pitfall would be the Pandora's Box it could potentially open up, but if you frame it for those at high risk (relatives of leukemia/lymphoma patients, for example) maybe it could fly as a cash-only revenue steam.

I'll shoot this one down: The tumor cells have the translocations, not the people with the tumors.

I hear those CT scanners in strip malls aren't doing so well. All the hypochondriacs came out when they opened, but didn't have enough anxiety to pony up a thou every year.

quant said:
A philanderer s scare....
3) "STD off the shelf,test yourself kits" -

I love it! We could sell them bathroom vending machines in clubs, bars and airports (right next to the glo-in-the-dark strawberry flavored condoms). :thumbup:

Buttercupp said:
I love it! We could sell them bathroom vending machines in clubs, bars and airports (right next to the glo-in-the-dark strawberry flavored condoms). :thumbup:

I LOVE the vending machine idea.... :laugh:

We need incentive plans/coupons- something like "Bring two friends in for colonoscopy with biopsy and get one polyp diagnosed for free..."

Or perhaps we could have cards like the buy 9 burritos get the tenth for free thing, where you get a hole punched in your card every time you have a skin bx and your tenth dx is free. Derm would go for this and GI too. (Only you get your card revoked if the skin bx turns out to be some tricky melanoma that you had to do levels/stains on, send out, and sweat the dx)

People like games, like McDonald's monopoly. We need "Pathopoly" where you get game pieces when you get something biopsied/tested. You get more game pieces for an 88307 than for an 88305 and so forth. Best of all we never really have to give out the prizes because if you collect enough game pieces to win, chances are you're not going to be around long enough to receive the prizes!

I'm sorry- I'm very sick. Sick of blood banking. :)

beary said:
Give me a break. If you want more threads like this, start them. Many of the posters on here right now are concerned about getting into residency next month, and not yet worried about how to generate income when we are done with our training in many years. These are the studentdoctor forums. I guess when you were an M4 you didn't have any worries or want any advice about matching.

whoa.

LADoc00 said:

Signout twice weekly at Hooters.

yaah said:
Signout twice weekly at Hooters.

Does that mean the patients go with us to signout?

beary said:

I agree. I realize the job situation in path isn't be great but I have already made a decision about going into path... Now, I am just stressed out about getting into residency :eek: