1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Branch campus

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by bball1984, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bball1984

bball1984 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am interested in both PCOM-GA and LECOM-Bradenton. Is there any difference in attending the main campus or branch campus of either of these schools? Is it viewed any differently? Also, is your degree given by the main campus or branch campus (i.e. does it come from PCOM-Atlanta or PCOM?) Thanks for your help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wolfram241

wolfram241 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I find the whole branch campus thing bizarre. Philadelphia in Georgia? Lake Erie in Florida? Come on. I'm no anti-D.O.-ite, but give these schools original names, even if the same people run it. I'm sure I'm not the only one with these views.

4. Sir Toalie

Sir Toalie Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

it's as annoying as those "Christimas in July" sales

5. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Agreed 110%. Surely it can't cost that much more to print up additional stationary. :laugh:

6. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I find it interesting that there were several comments to your post, yet no one cared to answer the OPs question. In the case of Lake Erie, your diploma says "Lake Erie" and you have graduation in Erie, PA, so it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to name it something else. For Murphy: There's a lot more to it than just stationery (which, BTW, they do have their own printed up), since as a "branch" campus the accreditation process is a lot easier.

7. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I would also like you know if it is a disavantage to attend a LECOM-Bradenton or PCOM-Atlanta. I have heard clinical rotation scheduling horrors about lecom-bradenton, but don't know if it is true. Can someone else address the OP's questions?

8. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's not bizarre at all. I don't know about LECOM but when I tell people I attend PCOM-GA I get instant respect because of the PCOM name. Especially when I tell relatives and friends in NY that I am at a PCOM affiliated school because most have heard of PCOM. If I said I went to Atlanta College of Osteopathic Medicine people would say "never heard of it".

B-

9. heyimnick

heyimnick Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What about the perception that because they are branched schools and not nearly as established, that they may actually be easier to get into, because they dont have established gpa/mcat expectations and to fill class sizes, etc....any merits to that?

10. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    Anyone know if PCOM atlanta is equal in academic caliber to PCOM - philly? Noone seems to be answering this main question. Same goes for LECOM.