Break after MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tontondavid

UC Davis Class of 2008
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if most students do electives or research right after their first year. The reason is because I plan on getting married between MS1 and MS2 and was wondering if I would be behind everyone else!

Comments from people attending UCD would be even more relevant to me since I am starting there...

PLEASE help!

Thanks guys!

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen of my classmates, the summer between Year 1-2 is almost the ideal time to get married. You won't have much of a summer between Year 2-3 with studying for Step 1 and you won't have time off at all between Years 3-4.

Jaded Soul said:
From what I've seen of my classmates, the summer between Year 1-2 is almost the ideal time to get married. You won't have much of a summer between Year 2-3 with studying for Step 1 and you won't have time off at all between Years 3-4.

Thanks Jaded Soul.

Anyone else have an opinion on this? How come I hear so many people are doing research during that time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people do research over the summer because it is an ideal time to do research, and the only real time off to pursue other things besides school. I did research, but it was very slack and interesting (to me, but I'm a raging dork). However, it seemed like I was at a wedding for one of my classmates every weekend. Some of them even managed to combine research and last-minute wedding planning, but they were far more organized than I could ever hope to be!

Hope that helps. :)

I think it's one of the best times in med school for getting married. I got married summer between MS1 and MS2, and did some clinical research also (for about six weeks, after we got back from the honeymoon). My husband (also an MS2) did an orthopedics research program this summer after the wedding. A lot of people do do research between MS1 and MS2, but you don't have to--lots of people take the summer just to chill and recuperate. You can combine getting married and doing research, or you can just get married and relax the rest of the summer. I wouldn't worry too much about fitting research in that summer--it's not that important.

jennie 21 said:
I think it's one of the best times in med school for getting married. I got married summer between MS1 and MS2, and did some clinical research also (for about six weeks, after we got back from the honeymoon). My husband (also an MS2) did an orthopedics research program this summer after the wedding. A lot of people do do research between MS1 and MS2, but you don't have to--lots of people take the summer just to chill and recuperate. You can combine getting married and doing research, or you can just get married and relax the rest of the summer. I wouldn't worry too much about fitting research in that summer--it's not that important.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Doies this mean that you had more than a six week break?? I think that UCD only gives a month of break....maybe someone can confirm this.....

Cheers.

I think we have about 5 weeks off based on the schedule they finally posted today. Much shorter than most schools. See you on the 20th! :)

I plan on spending my time with my 1st baby (due in January) and fixing everything that seems to keep breaking around the house.

get married if you want. don't worry about the research thing because, realistically, you can't accomplish that much in an 8-10 week period. good luck.

Great!!!

Thanks for the good news guys. I guess someone is getting married...

:D

Skiingdoc: kewl, see u then. :thumbup:

Cheers.