Break between 2nd and 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CeLo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping that someone can help me out. My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out when we will be able to get married when I am in med school. The summer between 1st and 2nd year is pretty much out due to financial reasons. Is there any time between 2nd and 3rd year? I know that's when the boards are, but I'm wondering if there is any sort of a break after boards before clinicals start. I'm especially interested in Wayne State as that is where I will most likely be. Any info/advice/anecdotes will be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How big your break between 2nd and 3rd year is depends on where you go to school. And how long you want to study for boards. At my school, there is plenty of time to do a wedding, travel, etc between 2nd and 3rd.

At my school we get out May 10th.......i am studying for 3 full weeks for boards and take them on june 4th.............clinics start july 1.

that gives me 3 full weeks off before clinicals. I guess that would be a good time to get married and honeymoon.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
Celo,
I'm a second-year at Wayne State. I believe we are done May 12, and are supposed to take the USMLE sometime in the month of June. This year rotations start the first day after the 4th of July weekend, or July 6th. Thus you could take the boards early in June, sacrificing a bit of study time, in order to have the rest of the month off.

Another note about Wayne: Third year requirements involve 11 of 12 months. There is one free month to either take an elective, or use for vacation. You have the choice of when to use that month, although it is through a lottery system, so you may not get your first choice.

I would definitely reccomend against trying to get married right after your USMLE. It would be impossible for the planning and the thoughts of getting married to not interfere with your USMLE studies. A better time would be during that month that the previous poster indicated that you would have off, during the summer after first year, or during your fourth year (almost all schools have several months vacation scheduled in).

I agree with Kalel -- before thinking about whether the summer between 2nd and 3rd years is a good time for a wedding, I urge you to check the calendar at Wayne State.

It takes about a month to study for Boards, and many schools give you JUST that much time off (which you'll spend studying) before 3rd year rotations start. Many people believe that those who only study 2.5 - 3 weeks before the boards do well, but I think many more people are insecure enough to want a solid 4 weeks. So whatever you do, I'd suggest giving yourself the OPTION of a 4-week study period without wedding plans.

I do know some people who got married between 2nd and 3rd years. It worked for them because they had A LOT MORE than just a month off. (I think they probably had about 2 months.)

And yeah, you do have the option of using your vacation time. =)