engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
see i have no idea if this topic belongs here but anywhome... i recently broke up with my gf... by recently i mean within 48 hours and by gf i mean 3 year relationship... its really hard to concentrate on school andn studying when i have this huge gap that is empty... anyone went through this and got through this... i'd love to know how... she is not my first gf... but all the previous onse were no more than a month or two along those lines... anywhome... 3 year relationships how does one get over it? cheers
mood: +pity+

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
engdoc said:
see i have no idea if this topic belongs here but anywhome... i recently broke up with my gf... by recently i mean within 48 hours and by gf i mean 3 year relationship... its really hard to concentrate on school andn studying when i have this huge gap that is empty... anyone went through this and got through this... i'd love to know how... she is not my first gf... but all the previous onse were no more than a month or two along those lines... anywhome... 3 year relationships how does one get over it? cheers
you cant just say you broke up...you need to make it juicy man

whyd it happen? come home to find her in your bed wif anodder man?

thats whack!

Dr.TobiasFünke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2006
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
engdoc said:

Went through the same thing 4 months ago... it sucks man. it just sucks. it gets easier everyday. i watched a lot of COPS... seriously, if you're upset about something COPS will show you people who are having a much worse day than you. Also go out with your friends and TRY to have fun. Just hang in there I promise it will get better.

About the Ads

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
I know someone who was like that. He started working as an EMT hardcore after breaking up. Like all of his time. That's how he filled the gap...seemed a bit unhealthy.

CTtarheel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
My gf (of almost 2 years) dumped me last week. EMS does help a lot to pass the time, but other than that the best medicine is to go out with your buddies and meet new people. Gotta let yourself have fun again and remember what's awesome about being single . . .

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
Galveston
Status
engdoc said:

When did SDN turn into myspace 2.0

I'm waiting for the emo pic

as per getting over the relationship...pick up a hobby (karate, surfing, puzzles, etc)...and pick one that didn't have anything in common with the gf...or at least something to pass over the time that you would normally spend with her

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
The Beach
Status
Resident [Any Field]
CTtarheel said:
My gf (of almost 2 years) dumped me last week. EMS does help a lot to pass the time, but other than that the best medicine is to go out with your buddies and meet new people. Gotta let yourself have fun again and remember what's awesome about being single . . .
Same here. My job at the hospital doesn't help though. Being around death all day tends to make everything a little more depressing. I can't wait to move into my new apartment tomorrow. The complex is 90% girls. :horns:

10+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2005
Status
Medical Student
time. that's all.

find another hobby or job, or just study twice as much to fill up the time. the more time you have to think, the worst it is. oh and learning to not love her anymore is a good thing. when i broke up w/ my last gf, i buried myself in work, jobs, sports, hanging out w/ friends, and working out. it worked well. by the time my head was up again, i had gotten a ton of stuff done w/o even thinking about it. and i had a different personality and was more confident than ever, which will get you more girls than anything else (maybe money, but that's not worthwhile attention).

OP
E

engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
yea... i guess things will be better.... see the thing is... this has heppend before i mean like a break up with her... and how i got over it is taht i got back with her... but not this time... this time i will stop liking her by starting to be a manwhore lol jk.. anywhome than kyou all for u'r advice and i'll keep u updated

bbas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2003
DC Metro
Visit site
Status
Other Health Professions Student
taylormade44 said:
you cant just say you broke up...you need to make it juicy man

whyd it happen? come home to find her in your bed wif anodder man?

thats whack!
Grow up. :rolleyes:

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
engdoc said:

Find is your nearest watering hole!!! :thumbup: Hit it up w/ the fellas and have a good time.

Pkboi24

Don't laugh at my SN
10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2005
Status
I just broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years less than 24 hrs ago. I have an interview in 48 hours. Obviously, this is God's way of telling me he doesn't want me to become a doctor...

goodoldalky

10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I went through a pretty bad (almost 3 yr relationship) breakup my junior year of undergrad. ****ty at the time, no doubt. My GPA did jump from about a 3.30 to a 3.98 pre/post-breakup, though. It's surprising how much time and energy s/o's can suck out of your life.

And you know what they say... The best way to get over someone old is to get under someone new.. :)

The only advice I've got is keep busy. It'll take time.

About the Ads

EMH

ARNG - MC
10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2005
Arkansas
Status
Attending Physician
Since you have time to fill, fill it with something productive. When I split with a girlfriend of 5 years I started lifting weights which also boosts your confidence. I also got hooked on everquest which about wrecked my life though. The cops idea is brilliant. Pretty much any day time TV show these days has people in worse situations than you: Judge Judy and Springer would be solid choices.

rcd

.2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
Just tell yourself that your ex doesn't want you to be successful...

MirrorTodd

It's a gas.
10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Nowhere
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Watch Swingers. Great movie to give you some hope. "I mean at first you're going to pretend to forget about her, you'll not call her, I don't know, whatever... but then eventually, you really will forget about her."

DoctorPardi

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2005
Alabama
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do you work out normally? If not, take it up, and commit to it. It will be a great thing to do and you can initially use the break up as motivation to get into good shape. As Kramer tells George's mom in the Fusilli Jerry episode, "You're out there now!"

Plus working out makes you feel better, about yourself and you just feel healthier. Sometimes it hurts, but it is a good hurt, like you know just accomplished something. So come up with a work out plan, and start doing something, plus when you start out you'll see a lot of improvement in the first month or so and that will be good motivation to keep comming back. If you want any help with what to do, I am no body builder but I have a good work out schedule and I could try to help you out :) .

astrife

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
I know I'm young and all. I'll only be a freshman in college in like 15 days, but, I've had my share of naive high school relationships and I see all my friends in their semi-fickle relationships now that they think will last forever and it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean having some consistent play is always nice, but is it really worth all the emotional baggage that can kill your GPA if you're not careful and can make you miserable for months? I can only see myself seriously getting involved with someone when I can see that the prospect of the emotional baggage won't mess up my chances at my future career.

Like tonight, I hung out with a really cool girl that is very sweet, and if I pursued it... it might lead somewhere, but then again if it did lead somewhere I'm only 18 and the probability of that lasting are just close to none really. Relationships at "our" age are great, but they seem to be a hella of alot of trouble when we already face the daunting task of getting into medical school. I say mess with it when you're in residency. Sure, you can't mess up too much there or you'll get terminated, but the leverage is a little bit better there than say concentrating on your own in the library for a week straight trying to get this physics final aced, but all you can think about is your ex-girlfriend who you loved so much.... I don't know... i'm done ranting

Ambs

Sleeping is underrated!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
astrife said:
I know I'm young and all. I'll only be a freshman in college in like 15 days, but, I've had my share of naive high school relationships and I see all my friends in their semi-fickle relationships now that they think will last forever and it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean having some consistent play is always nice, but is it really worth all the emotional baggage that can kill your GPA if you're not careful and can make you miserable for months? I can only see myself seriously getting involved with someone when I can see that the prospect of the emotional baggage won't mess up my chances at my future career.

Like tonight, I hung out with a really cool girl that is very sweet, and if I pursued it... it might lead somewhere, but then again if it did lead somewhere I'm only 18 and the probability of that lasting are just close to none really. Relationships at "our" age are great, but they seem to be a hella of alot of trouble when we already face the daunting task of getting into medical school. I say mess with it when you're in residency. Sure, you can't mess up too much there or you'll get terminated, but the leverage is a little bit better there than say concentrating on your own in the library for a week straight trying to get this physics final aced, but all you can think about is your ex-girlfriend who you loved so much.... I don't know... i'm done ranting
Dude, please have fun in college and don't be an anal pre-med. Date and fall in love. Your future career, getting into med school, residency, blah blah blah aren't going to pot if you're in a relationship.

applyingsucks

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
astrife said:

Dude enjoy college, your fuked the rest of your life, youll be extremely busy and worried about **** you never thought you could worry about. Kids, bills, health, family, mortgage, fellowships, insurance, and tons of other little stupid things like your wife cheating on you becuase your never there for her. Bottom line is find out who you are now, you cant do that in the library, go out have fun and enjoy life. I've had a gf for the past 4 years (i'll be a senior in college this comming fall) and yea we fight, but I don't regret being with her, not for a moment. And all that bull **** about your GPA, med schools care more about the person you are then that 4.0

you sound like a good kid, just nervous, being a pre-med sucks, so balance it with having some fun. Dont worry theyll be lots of time for your studies.

Rafa

headbutts like zidane
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2006
the internets
dailywarnews.blogspot.com
Status
Pre-Medical
To the OP, start learning Spanish. It'll come in handy when you wake up in bed with a sweet Mexicana and need to make it back to the states in time for class on Monday morning.

Hey...it's one way to forget about an ex.

About the Ads

Taty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2002
New York
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years last year. We also were engaged for 2 years. He was not supportive of idea of me going to medical school so I had to wave him good-bye.

I would say thanks God for this. Now I am with wonderful and very supportive man.

My advice is study or find some hobby that makes you feel happy, it will get better...

OP
E

engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
i'm worried about her being with another person.. even though i'm the one that broke up with her... i dunno i'm jelous if i see her with another guy... how does one get over that...?

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
engdoc said:
i'm worried about her being with another person.. even though i'm the one that broke up with her... i dunno i'm jelous if i see her with another guy... how does one get over that...?
be with another girl...preferably one with a very large....personality

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2005
USA
doctajay.com
Status
Attending Physician
engdoc said:
what helped is were my friends. When you have a girlfriend for so long, you end up spending a vast amount of time with her instead of them. So, the only thing to fill that void was hanging out with my friends.

OP
E

engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
hahahahah just what i wanted to hear lool

OP
E

engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
thank you... she wasn't supportive of my medical career choice... since i was in engineering.. so i guess it was for the best

obrn

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
It's perfectly fine to cringe at the thought of her with someone else....and that may or may not ever go away. While it's fine to cringe and dislike the thought, remember to stay away and not meddle in things that don't have anything to do with you. After a while, you'll forget to be hurt by it quite as much. And then something great will fall into your lap when you least expect it... Good luck!

castortroy

10+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2006
Status
get back with the person at any cost... make love to the person... and when u get acceptance dump the person... im kidding.

yea im going thru what u are going thru right now. i think a good way to forget about it is to get a dog.

OP
E

engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
i would get a dog... but listen to this... i live in canada and it gets cold up there.. well i had a hamster... i named him/her gucci.. now the hamster one day woudln't wake up... i was really sad... so assuming that it was dead.. i barried it.... 2 years latrer... i found out it was hibernating :( RIP gucci.... and this is why i don't desaerve a dog
cheers

Cirrus83

Too old for this
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
astrife said:

Dude you know people (who went to college) tend to end up marrying someone they met in college. So...umm...don't exactly rule out every college relationship not lasting. Plenty end up lasting and turning into marriages...

One of the (slightly) older alumna from my college is getting married this month...and the two of them met 9 years ago during freshmen orientation week!!! I don't think they started going out until a little bit later, but trust me when I say that college relationships can last. I know 2 other couples whose relationships are still going strong post college-and both are definitely on a path towards marriage.

So...yeah, don't be too cynical lol

MasterMD

it's a smile on the rocks
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Medical Student
engdoc said:
i would get a dog... but listen to this... i live in canada and it gets cold up there.. well i had a hamster... i named him/her gucci.. now the hamster one day woudln't wake up... i was really sad... so assuming that it was dead.. i barried it.... 2 years latrer... i found out it was hibernating :( RIP gucci.... and this is why i don't desaerve a dog
cheers

omg totally sad... but i couldnt help laughing :laugh: im a bad person :oops:

anyway.. time heals everything.. just remember you are better off without someone who doesnt support you in everyway possible :thumbup:

OP
E

engdoc

10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2006
Status
a movie called "human traffic" once said... "We're nympholeptics, desiring the unobtainable. We risk sanity for moments of temporary enlightenment. So many ideas, so little memory. The last thought killed by anticipation of the next. We feel an oberwhelming feeling of love; we flow in unison." --Jip (John Simm) giving a voice-over of his ecstacy experience.

About the Ads