1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Breakdown 7/31/2015

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Nawit, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Nawit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    (Please, if I have said anything I was not supposed to, just let me know and I will remove it. I tried to read this over to make sure nothing is being revealed.)

21 PAT
    17 QR ( :( )
    22 RC
    24 Bio
    21 GC
    21 OC
    22 TS
    21 AA

Gunna be a pretty short breakdown cause I just got back from my test and I am super exhausted.

Disclaimer: I am not a very hard studying student. I did not spend 10-12 hours a day studying. I spent about 2 months, maybe 4-5 hours a day. I did not expect to do amazing but I did expect to do good enough which is what ended up happening. Take my advice with a grain of salt because I am a Biology major and I did not burn through Destroyer like many people do. I found it demoralizing and pushed me away from studying. Although that may be true for me, if you can master the Destroyer book, you are set to do well on this test.

PAT: I used Bootcamp for the most part. It's basically the same difficult you will get on the actual exam. I GOT 3 ROCKS IN MY KEYHOLE PROBLEMS. As you can imagine, I am pretty furious about that. Most people don't even get one. Otherwise, everything else was fair and straightforward. Do Bootcamp, and you will do fine.

QR: I SUCK at Math. There is no way around it. I spent a ton of time on Math and it just did not pay off as much. I should have definitely focused here a lot more than other sections. Timing was a big issue for me as 70% of my questions were Math Destroyer level word problems. Definitely concerned about this score.

RC: RC was easy. I would just like to note that the formatting of the RC passages is a little different from what I practiced. My passages were broken down into 7-10 paragraphs instead of the 16-18 I was used to from practice. This made my method of writing a little title for each paragraph not as effective, so I winged it and switched to writing a few short bullet points for each paragraph and referencing them. This section isn't that bad if you are a decent reader.

Bio: Random. There is nothing else to say. It is an extremely random section. No matter how much you prepare there is still a slight chance you will get hit with something you never covered. Don't stress too much. Know the big topics and you should be able to make educated guesses about the rest.

GC: Not what I really expected. I did all of Chad's videos + quizzes multiple times and felt very confident but I get some very strange questions that weren't in Chad's videos... Not upset with this grade but disappointed I didn't do better.

OC: Same as GC. My only gripe with this section was that I only got 2 reactions as questions. Nothing on isomers. 1 question on lab technique (those are the three subjects I focused most on for OC). Goes to show there is a lot of chance when it comes to this test depending on what you get asked.

Overall I am happy. I am concerned about my QR score and how it will affect my application but besides that score I am okay. I don't think I should retake my test to bring my QR up 2-3 points with the way the rest of my scores are. I have a 3.80 GPA and tons of extracurricular (research, volunteering, shadowing, working etc.) so I am hoping I will be good to get into my top choice of Stony Brook. Any advice or thoughts on my score and my chances are welcome. Any questions are welcome as well.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Attached Files:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carbohydrates

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey congrats on thr DAT. You did pretty good!!!

Btw, What is an example of a rock problem?

4. Futuredentista62

Pre-Dental
    You did really well don't beat yourself up because of QR. Congratulations! :)
    Thanks for the breakdown! :)

5. Nawit

2+ Year Member

It's a shape with like 70 faces. Very hard to visualize and thus pick the proper keyhole. I guessed all 3 and probably got them all wrong.

6. virtualmaster999

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Nice work! You will be fine with 17 in QR..it's the least important section. All your other scores are really solid anyhow, so you will be more than good to go!

7. orgoman22

orgoman22 DAT DESTROYER
    Lifetime Donor Sponsor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    :highfive:Congratulations!!

I would not worry at all about your QR score, your other scores more than make up for it. QR is the least looked at score by dental schools. You should be very proud of your scores and 3.8 GP, that says volumes about the type of student you are.

With your GPA and scores you have an excellent chance to get an interview at Stony Brook. I have many students that graduated from Stony Brook, still attending and applying.

It's a tough school for acceptance because they don't take many students but you definitely have a chance. Make sure your personal statement is well thought out and attention grabbing. That can make all the difference in obtaining an interview.

Wishing you the best!

Nancy

8. whitepapertree

big time ball playa. don't worry about QR.

9. Nawit

2+ Year Member

Thanks so much Nancy. You and Dr. Romano have done amazing work with the Destroyer. Your comments have raised my spirits and made me a bit more comfortable with my lower score in QR.

orgoman22 likes this.
  10. hajin

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your overall scores are similar to mine (Orgoman22, I'm deeply hurt you didn't comment on my breakdown lol) and I also got a 17 on QR. A 16 might have been an issue, but everyone I've talked to said that one 17 with a strong AA/TS and a strong overall application is nothing to worry about. Good job man.