Breakdown and what resources I used (3rd Retake) ((23AA and 25TS))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IbrahimH

Reaction score
**23AA and 25TS
"The three leaves of the clover represent faith, hope, and love. Within a fourth leaf dwells good luck. Within a fifth leaf... Resides a demon." (Black Clover)
Hi everyone, My name is Ibrahim Hasan. I took my exam back on February 23rd and I thought it would be a great idea to post a breakdown or provide some advice about how I studied. For your information, this was my 3rd retake of the DAT and when I graduated from university in Spring 2020, I was in my gap year.
Scores:
PAT - 20
QR - 21
RC - 19
Bio - 27
GC - 26
OC - 24
TS - 25
AA - 23

Background: I'm a Political Science Major (BA) and graduated with a cumulative GPA: 3.67 (Cum Laude). I was also in my gap year and studied a good portion while also working in the pharmacy part-time. I already posted my breakdown in the DAT Bootcamp Facebook, so if you want to know more than what I post here, you can check that out and search my name. My scores have the Ace of Cloves on there (Reference to Black Clover Anime if you know of it lol)
The material I used (Tier List)

ADA 2007 Exam (8/10) - I highly recommend you get and try the ADA 2007 exam. I read somewhere that if you are scoring 20s on that exam then you should be solid for the real DAT. I skipped the RC as I already had quite enough of RC from Booster and Bootcamp. I heard there was a 2009 version, but never seemed it find it plus it had some errors, so did not want to attempt that one.

Kaplan Diagnostic Exam (7/10) - This was not bad, but their free practice exam that you can sign up for is a more modified version with fewer questions and a time limit. I still felt their math was pretty good and the balance of science.

DAT Destroyer (8.2/10) - What's with the 0.2 lol. Well, I got to give DAT Destroyer the benefit of being so annoying. These problems were tough, but reading the solutions and not overburdening my self, it was a great way to know what I know or not. I recommend doing the sections on different days. I usually studied, QR, RC, PAT one day and Bio, GC, OC the other day. I put a timer for about 40min for Bio, GC, OC for DAT Destroyer. Don't solely use DAT Destroyer it's like cheese (vegan cheese lol), just put in enough and you should be good.

DAT Bootcamp (7.5) - I liked BC, but there is a lot of content. Bootcamp is like a roller coaster, it was great in the beginning but then it increased in price and the vast amount of content is too much in your face. I really appreciated their Bio Bits and Question Banks, but to expect everyone to have enough time to knock out all the QB banks, Bio bits, and go through all 1-10 practice exams per section is a bit overwhelming. I used BC all three attempts, but on my 3rd retake I treated it like DAT Destroyer and slowly focused on sections that I really was bad on like RC, QR, and Bio mainly.

ChadsPrep (Chadsvideos.com) (9/10) - I always liked Chad's videos for GC and OC. I used them for 2nd retake and got 22GC and 21OC. He recently added DAT practice exams that are free and he does offer free videos for GC/OC also. His subscription is like $50, and the added quizzes and exams are really helpful. I used chads first for the foundation before I even started to study for my 3rd retake.
DAT Booster (OVER 9000!!!) - Lol, thumbs up if you understand the meme. The DAT Booster was everything I needed and less clustered compared to Bootcamp. I heard PAT Booster from homies in my predental club. I had 17/18 on PAT, and I know Dental Schools really vibe for a great DAT score in that section. In the end, I got a 20, so that's not bad at all. Besides PAT, which is the bee's knees, their Biology videos/exams are phenomenal. Made me feel that all the trippy stuff I learned from DAT Destroyer was slowly coming together. I also like their GC and OC variety also. Solid Software, the team was always helpful. If you can only afford one software, DAT Booster is what you need to Fly you to the Moon
🙂

Cliffs AP Bio notes (2/10) - Used this a little bit for Plants, but felt that the content I need I could get from Bootcamp 500 page Bio notes and by watching all the helpful videos/explanation DAT Booster provided in the solution breakdown.

Timeline: I studied for like 7-8 months, I know it's a lot, I know some smart cats who studied for 10weeks, 3 months and they were great. I knew after I graduated that this 3rd attempt will be rough. I hit Chad's videos - > DAT Booster with Destroyer - > then DAT Bootcamp along with ADA 2007 along with the Kaplan Diagnostic test. I had to ask for 1-month extensions for both DAT Booster and Bootcamp, and I appreciate that they allowed me to extend my subscription. I was going to take it in during Christmas time, but I felt very hesitant in QR (I did get a 13 on my 2nd retake). I'm glad I'm finally done and believe with enough confidence, study, and passion you will achieve your dream with God's Grace.

Ending advice: I highly recommend buying yourself a whiteboard, it saves paper and really helps in writing practice problems with the expo markers. When I felt low energy I listened to Screamo/Hard Rock music, there something about that genre vibes, when I was hitting PAT generators really, calmed my nerves. I liked Bullet for my Valentine, Silverstein, and Escape the Faith to name a few. I usually studied 5 to 6 hours a day with breaks. I enjoyed exercise on my breaks or watching anime if you like that medium. I highly recommend Haikyuu/Eye Shield 21 for sports anime and for Action I really enjoyed Demon Slayer and Black Clover hence the whole Ace of Cloves lol. Remember to say "Thank You" and "I Love You" to family and friends. COVID 19 has really affected many families and relationships with people. I always told my family I loved them even though I was in my zone with this DAT study. Those loved ones are your supporting structure, without that you would become a Cnidaria (jellyfish) lol. Fix your sleep schedule about a week before your exam and eat a light breakfast, and I recommend doing a bit of charity or donate to a cause you are passionate about the day before or after your exam. Many people need help and even 10 dollars can help those more than you know. You will never be 100% ready but if you work smart and efficient you can be 99.9% ready and you should do great, if not work harder and keep moving forward. I did take the DAT 3 times after all, lol. Good vibes, y'all.

Thank You all for reading, I hope y'all make it. I can't believe that I am finally done with Phase 1 of my life. I never knew that DAT Booster would help me boost my scores so much and allow me to get 23AA and 25TS. I never knew I would become vegan, so 2020 study until now was really a trip. I'm making a Blog on more tips/advice so I launch that soon. Much Love Y'all.
IMG_0400.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations! You did it! Very impressive scores and wish you the best through the rest of the process!

Nancy co/owner, DAT Destroyer

BTW - I am vegan, welcome to the gang, and there are so many more options than years ago. The vegan cheese has improved greatly, haha

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! So great to see that your hard work paid off and that you got where you wanted to be in the end. Best of luck with applications! :)

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how did you study for the biology section?
Hey Dania, sorry for not seeing this. I believe that breadth over depth in Bio is the best for this section. This means that you need to hit the bases instead of covering the base. I find the Bootcamp 500 page Bio Academy notes a good resource to start if you never learned the topic like plants, genetics, anatomy, etc. Then after that start doing the DAT Destroyer Bio if you can and use the practice tests and question banks to aid in your studying. Ari's schedule and Feralis's schedule on the DAT booster are solid to start and you can tweak it as you go.

Another thing is you need to move quickly, in that section you also need to hit gen chem and ochem. So, if you don't know a question or are confused about the topic: mark it, make an educated guess and move on. You can still make a 20+ if you miss less than 10 I heard.