Breakdown - DAT Done 11-3-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradHopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

As promised, I'm posting a breakdown of my DAT experience from earlier today. Here are my scores:

AA: 21 (97.2)
TS: 21 (96.2%)
BIO: 20 (91.8%)
GC: 21 (91.6%)
OC: 24 (97.9%)
RC: 18 (52.2% meh...I was expecting this. Not great, but not horrible.)
QR: 21 (97.6%)
PAT: 25 (99.1%:eek:)

Materials Used
KBB: Good "primer" for the DAT subjects, but definitely not the "complete package" as far as what you need for the DAT. I used this for the first month and made intense notes from the book. I also used the two practice tests that come with the book.
Cliff's AP Biology: An absolute must for biology. Kaplan biology just isn't thorough enough for the questions you'll be asked. If you study this book really well, then you should be good to go. For biology, I'd take notes from Kaplan first, and then I'd skim the corresponding chapter in Cliff's in order to write down anything that Kaplan may have missed. This was quite effective.
Chad's Videos: A Godsend, this man. Used him for GC and QR.
DAT Destroyer: VERY hard, but extremely valuable. I ended up working through destroyer once before I watched Chad's videos...it was a big confidence killer, but I'm also EXTREMELY glad I did this. By going through destroyer once, I was able to see which areas I needed help with. So when I began to watch Chad's videos, I knew what to focus on. I then went through destroyer two more times after watching Chad's videos, and I ended up doing MUCH better on it.
Math Destroyer: Great source. Prepares you VERY well for the QR section. It is harder than the actual QR, so if you can master Math Destroyer, then the actual QR should be a breeze for you.
Crack DAT PAT: Again, excellent source. I made a 25 on PAT, and I give most of the credit to CDP. Just buy it...seriously, you won't be sorry.
Topscore: Best practice test simulator out there for the DAT. It was very close to the actual conditions of the DAT (except it doesn't have a calculator for QR). Its level of difficulty was also very comparable to the actual DAT. See my practice scores below.

Method of Study (Schedule)
Studied for a total of three whole months....
Month 1: I basically followed dentalWorks' study schedule for the first month to the letter (the Kaplan version, not the Chad's videos version). Basically, I went through a chapter from each subject (bio, GC, OC, Math) every day from Kaplan and Cliff's and made notes on everything. This month was my "relearning" month, where I basically just retaught myself all the material from bio, chem, and orgo. I also did PAT, as dentalWorks suggested.
Month 2: During the first 10 days, I did all of DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer. Boy was that a wake up call. There was so much that I didn't know. So, during the second 10 days, I went through all of Chad's videos for GC and QR (I was ok with my Orgo, so I didn't really bother with that). His quizzes at the end of each video are GREAT and very helpful. Overall, I feel like I would not have made a great score on GC had it not been for Chad. Highly recommended. During the last 10 days of month 2, I redid destroyer....with much more success.
Month 3: I reserved this month JUST for practice tests. I had 7 practice tests (see results below). I did one practice test every three days. The two days after a practice test, I'd review all the problems I got wrong. Then I'd work on destroyer again (doing this allowed me to get through destroyer a third time by the end of Month 3). I would also sprinkle the occasional CDP test during my non-practice-test days.

Practice Test Results
If the following image doesn't work, just click on the attachment at the bottom....
attachment.php

Section Breakdown
BIO (20): As everybody has said before, it was random as can be. Some questions came out of left field...I had never seen some of those concepts before. But for the most part, you could reason out what the answer should be if you just use logic. The difficulty of the actual DAT was about the same as Topscore. Topscore is a good representation for this section.
GC (21): Easy. After being taken aback by the randomness of the bio section, my confidence was restored after I started working on the GC section. It's not too bad. Again, topscore is a good representative of the actual DAT...maybe a SLIGHT bit harder...but not by much. But, hands down, the BEST source of study for this section is Chad's videos. I would pay $30/month JUST for GC. It was very helpful, very clear, and very concise...he only focused on the info that commonly shows up on the DAT, and he leaves out all that extra fluff info. His videos are invaluable.
OC (24): To be honest, I was lucky enough to have a good professor in Organic, so I really spent a minimal amount of time studying for this section. It wasn't too bad. DAT Destroyer is overkill for this section, so if you can do destroyer OC, then you should breeze through this section.
PAT (25): CDP all the way. Keyholes, TFE, and Angles were on par with the difficulty of the actual DAT. Hole punching and cube counting were easier on the actual DAT. Pattern folding was slightly harder on the actual DAT (but not by much). The Topscore PAT is actually slightly easier than the actual PAT, but still comparable (and good practice). I scored 25 on the PAT section of the first topscore test, and ended up with a 25 on the real thing.
RC (18): ....yeahhh, I expected this (I mean, look at my practice scores for RC). It was never my strong subject. One bit of warning though, Topscore RC is much easier than the actual RC. I averaged around 21 on the Topscore RC, but only made 18 on the real thing.
QR (21): I hadn't seen any of this material in about 9 years. As a matter of fact, the last time I had a math course was freshmen year of college in 2003. So I had to relearn all of this from scratch. Kaplan was actually a great source for this. Their QR section in KBB teaches you everything you need to know. I also did Math Destroyer...which was crazy hard, but really helped you master the problem types. If you do all 10 tests in Math Destroyer (I didn't do 11 or 12), then you should be good to go. By the time you get to this part of the test, you're quite tired and just ready to quit...but keep your chin up and just chug through it.

And Last But Not Least....
Thank you to the SDN community and to everybody who answered my (sometimes dumb) questions. You guys are an incredible resource, and I don't think I could have gotten through this without your help.

Also, I'm a very bad test taker. So if I can do well on this test, so can you! This test CAN be conquered. It just takes hard work and dedication. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true. Good luck to all you guys, and feel free to ask any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DAT Practice Scores.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,345
Last edited:
Great scores!! Congrats on your hard work paying off! :)

I have to say that I loved your breakdown. Simple, step-by-step of what you did, and very concise. Good job on being way more efficient in studying than me hahaha :laugh: it's a compliment because when I studied, I was literally all over the place, did some things out of order, and it drove me crazy.

Your studying schedule looks very effective. If I never took the DAT or ever had to retake the DAT again (gosh, I hope not), I think I would follow your schedule because it looks solid :)

Great scores!! Congrats on your hard work paying off! :)

I have to say that I loved your breakdown. Simple, step-by-step of what you did, and very concise. Good job on being way more efficient in studying than me hahaha :laugh: it's a compliment because when I studied, I was literally all over the place, did some things out of order, and it drove me crazy.

Your studying schedule looks very effective. If I never took the DAT or ever had to retake the DAT again (gosh, I hope not), I think I would follow your schedule because it looks solid :)

Why thank you. I'm really glad this test is over.

Good luck in the admissions process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid scores!

Are you applying next cycle?

Nonetheless... the RC right?

Yep, you were right, the real RC is harder than topscore, but I'm not too worried about it. It's not low enough to warrant me retaking the test, given how good my other scores are.

Yes, I'm applying next application cycle (summer 2012).

Yep, you were right, the real RC is harder than topscore, but I'm not too worried about it. It's not low enough to warrant me retaking the test, given how good my other scores are.

Yes, I'm applying next application cycle (summer 2012).

Wise decision on both ends!

Even if it was a 17 for RC, I would say no retake either :)

Now on to the next step... getting that PS ready and getting in those LORs!

Wise decision on both ends!

Even if it was a 17 for RC, I would say no retake either :)

Now on to the next step... getting that PS ready and getting in those LORs!

Yep yep, on to the next hurdle(s). As stressful as this whole process is, it can also be kind of exciting.

This is a very nice breakdown of scores and study materials. I espescially like the chart.

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools are you thinking of applying? You seem very organized, so the application process should not be difficult for you.

good job.. did you take the kaplan course online?

No, I just read the book. Most people who took the Kaplan course seemed to think it wasn't worth it. They say that the most valuable thing about it is the material that you have access to, but since you can purchase similar material from different sources (for a lot less money), there really seems to be little or not value in taking the Kaplan course.

This is really great! Very happy for you!

Just a quick question for you: which version of CrackPAT did you get? I know there are a bunch out there and it's a bit costly. Again, congrats and good luck applying!

Do you really think that Dental school admissions look at all sections of the DAT or just the sciences?

How much time each day did you devote to studying?

About 3-6 hours each day (for three straight months), give or take. It just depended on what I needed to get done for that day.

This is really great! Very happy for you!

Just a quick question for you: which version of CrackPAT did you get? I know there are a bunch out there and it's a bit costly. Again, congrats and good luck applying!

I got the latest version...whatever they offer on their website is the one that I got. It's a direct download from their website, so whatever you purchase from there would be the latest version.

Do you really think that Dental school admissions look at all sections of the DAT or just the sciences?

I'm assuming they look at all sections, but some are given priority over others (with QR usually being the lowest priority). Some schools give RC a very high priority, while others don't. But they all look at your sciences and PAT and weigh those pretty heavily. That's just my take on it.

Do you think they might ask about your scores during the interview?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Do you think they might ask about your scores during the interview?

I'm pretty sure they'd ask you about a low score. But to be honest, I have no idea. Interviewing seems to vary a lot from school to school.

I see what you mean. I am sure that everyone is trying to anticipate some of the questions. However, I am trying to be honest and when they ask: "Why did you choose our school?" What is the best answer to that that is different from everyone elses?

I see what you mean. I am sure that everyone is trying to anticipate some of the questions. However, I am trying to be honest and when they ask: "Why did you choose our school?" What is the best answer to that that is different from everyone elses?

You say you're trying to be honest when they ask you that, but then you're asking me to tell you what answer would make you look different from others?

...if you're truly trying to give an honest answer, does it really matter?

I really hope you're not trolling, haha.

But, if you're not trolling...the best advice I can give is to just be honest with the admissions committee. That doesn't mean you blatantly tell them "I chose your school b/c my DAT scores and GPA are on par and thus it's a good backup." There has to be a REASON you applied there (reputation, proximity to family, etc...). Be honest about that reason, but back it up with some logic.

Example: I chose NYUCD because it offers _____________, and it is also a good fit for me personally because ________________.

Filling in that first blank would require you to do some research on the school. Which I'm assuming you'd already be doing if you've got an interview coming up. Filling in the second blank will be different for every other person, depending on your qualities/characteristics/situation. This is where you can set yourself apart from other applicants.

Good luck, buddy! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks. Basically what one has to do is research the school and find something unique about it, and then use that as something you desire. Well, kind of lol.

Lol, although, sometimes I do feel like telling them. Look, you accepted me, others did not. That is why I am here. Lol, it sounds strange, but they also must understand the situation. I think that they do not believe many applicants anyway. They have heard it al after many years of interviewing people.

Lol, although, sometimes I do feel like telling them. Look, you accepted me, others did not. That is why I am here. Lol, it sounds strange, but they also must understand the situation. I think that they do not believe many applicants anyway. They have heard it al after many years of interviewing people.

Haha, I wouldn't quite tell it to them in that way...it sounds too abrasive.

The thing about dental/medical school interviews is that they can be VERY subjective...b/c they've already analyzed all the objective data (GPA, DAT scores, etc...). So you're at the interview, not to discuss that stuff they already know, but to show them that you're actually a good fit for their school and for the learning environment that they promote.

So, your method would be very bad in this situation. You would be much better off being "diplomatic"...i.e. polite, respectful, and confident (not cocky) in convincing them that you're going into dentistry for the right reasons...and that you'd actually be an asset to their school.