Breakdown/General Advice! (21 AA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krentist_72

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took my DAT today! And while these scores may not be the best ones out there-- especially on SDN-- I'm pretty happy with them and very happy that I won't be retaking. Just want to share in case anything helps.

July 1st DAT:
Bio: 20
GC: 21
OC: 21
PAT: 21
RC: 19
QR: 22
AA: 21

I'm mostly annoyed with my RC score... I read every night for fun, read Scientific American articles, and RC was my consistently highest score on practice exams. I'm not really sure what happened. I didn't think the test articles were harder or anything, I guess I just wasn't in the zone. But I hope it's not low enough to really affect anything, and god knows I'm not retaking the whole thing to try to raise that, so the best I can do is laugh about it!

Study materials: Cliffs, Ferralis, Coursesaver for Chad's, Destroyer, and Bootcamp.
  • All are as good as everyone says, really not much I can add to it!! Destroyer is amazing, absolutely amazing. Basically, don't get discouraged, you WILL get most wrong. Just keep going and write down everything you got wrong/guessed on. I started with a used 2011 one that my friend gave me, but got a little paranoid and ended up buying the 2016 one and went through that twice. So with the 2011 version, probably did Destroyer about 2.5 times. Wish I had done the 2016 3 times-- think it really would've pushed me over the top (in a good way).
  • Bootcamp is really great. Just know that the subject tests are the same exact set of questions as the full-length practice exam, which I did not know. So when I started taking the full lengths, I had to skip the 1st and 2nd because I had done some of those subject tests and it wasn't a fair look at how I was doing. I would say that Bootcamp was pretty on par with the real exam-- OC and QR was more straightforward though. Bio is exactly as random as everyone says!
  • Bootcamp Scores:
Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
Test 1: 20/19/16/21/22/20
Test 2: 16/20/20/22/20/19
(So the first two, as stated above, I did the subject tests alone, didn't do those two all in full. Also those 2 16s I got on the same day, the day after I got back from my long break, and I wanted to see what I had retained-- whoops lol.)
Test 3: 19/23/18/20/23/18
Test 4: 19/24/21/21/23/18
Test 5: 19/20/20/20/22/19

2009 ADA: 22/23/19/X/21/19
  • I didn't do the PAT on paper, so I just did the 6th BC test. Got a 20.
  • Personally thought the 2009 was easier than the actual (except for the QR... wtf is up with that) but it predicted my AA of 21 so can't complain
Clearly did much better in math during the actual exam vs the practice. I have no tips unfortunately. I have a math minor and do biomathematical modeling research, so I got a lillll cocky and thought I wouldn't have to study much. 0/10 do not recommend you try this method lol. According to the practice exams, clearly I was wrong... wish I had studied more because know I could've killed this, but really can't complain.

Personal Do's and Don'ts:
- Studied for about 8 weeks total, but it was probably closer to 6.5 or 7. Started the day after finals, studied for 2 weeks, went to Hawaii for a week, then about 2 days later, had to drive back to my college for a few days to move into a new house for the next year. I lost wayyyy too much time doing all that and feel if I hadn't taken that break, I would've been further ahead. Really really recommend to avoid taking extended time off, because I felt like I had forgotten almost everything.
- I was able to get through Destroyer twice in 10 days. Just divide each section by 5 and power through. I think it was like 120 Bio, 65 OC, 73 GC a day lol but glad I did that in retrospect because once through just wouldn't have been enough.
- About a week before the exam, I rewrote the main parts of my GC, math, bio, and math notes. Really helped. (Also shoutout to @russelldw ... in his breakdown, he has a google doc summing up Bio thats of course not as intensive as Ferralis, but slightly more organized and easier to read. Helped me out during last minute reminders and bio cramming).
- Pay attention to your health. I hardly worked out because I knew I would beat myself up for losing studying/sleeping time. But with sitting so much everyday, my butt and back started to kill me. Definitely go on walks, runs, bike rides, swim, anything to keep your mind clear and muscles healthy. Wish I had put that in my schedule earlier as a non-negotiable thing.
- Maybe stay off SDN if you're getting stressed by all the 23s and 25s... I know I was, and just know you're doing your best and you can worry about how you compare later.
- Give yourself cushion after your scheduled test incase you need to reschedule. I didn't feel like I needed to, but even if I did, I couldn't because in about 10 days I'm studying abroad for the rest of the summer (yay). But at the same time, schedule great things for after the test! I'm so pumped that I have nothing to worry about over this 4th of July weekend, and it really gave me a light at the end of the tunnel.
- Be organized. Stick to your schedule. KNOW YOUR STUDY HABITS AND NEEDS. Just because one thing worked for someone doesn't mean it'll work for you, so keep an open mind, persevere, and be strong.

Sorry, so much longer than I anticipated, but I'm happy to be done and just want to pay it forward after the many breakdowns I read! Whoever is reading this-- you got this!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
How much is coursesaver and bootcamp?

What are there websites? Just want to double check I got the right websites for that

How much is coursesaver and bootcamp?

What are there websites? Just want to double check I got the right websites for that
Coursesaver was $50 a month (but I just canceled my subscription which automatically renewed a couple days ago and they refunded me like $38 since I didn't use it for the rest of the month.... Very classy, appreciated that). It's just coursesaver.com and that has Chad's videos. Some say you can just use Chad's own website but it seemed like it hadn't been tended to in a while and there were no Ochem videos so I just went through coursesaver
Bootcamp I think was $137 and you have it for 90 days. datbootcamp.com ... really helpful, I recommend. Hope that helps!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Coursesaver was $50 a month (but I just canceled my subscription which automatically renewed a couple days ago and they refunded me like $38 since I didn't use it for the rest of the month.... Very classy, appreciated that). It's just coursesaver.com and that has Chad's videos. Some say you can just use Chad's own website but it seemed like it hadn't been tended to in a while and there were no Ochem videos so I just went through coursesaver
Bootcamp I think was $137 and you have it for 90 days. datbootcamp.com ... really helpful, I recommend. Hope that helps!!

Thanks. Are his videos titled "DAT video" or something? And did you watch a few videos and then do the quizzes? Are the quizzes like DAT questions?

Glad my bio notes helped. Congrats on your scores and good luck this cycle!

Your scores are great. Congratulations!

Would you agree that newer (2015-2016) DAT-oriented resources are most helpful?

Thanks. Are his videos titled "DAT video" or something? And did you watch a few videos and then do the quizzes? Are the quizzes like DAT questions?

Yeah there's "DAT Videos" on Coursesaver and I did GC the first week, OC the second, few videos a day then the corresponding quizzes the next day. I would say the quizzes are more detailed than the DAT because they're more specific to drive home the main points.

Glad my bio notes helped. Congrats on your scores and good luck this cycle!
Definitely helped, thank you! And unfortunately, not applying till next cycle.... Need more shadowing and volunteering. But I'll be lurking in the threads, cheering everyone else on lol

Your scores are great. Congratulations!

Would you agree that newer (2015-2016) DAT-oriented resources are most helpful?
Thank you! And probably.... Obviously no expert but I do know they've tweaked what exactly is on bio the past couple years, so it just ensures you're learning the most accurate things. However, if you got a used one for cheaper from the past couple years, it should be more than fine. I just got anxious that 5-year-old one I was using was just too old. Plus the prior owner circled everything in pen, so I decided if I really wanted to test myself I needed a blank slate. Just personal preference.

Great job man!
Thank you!

Took my DAT today! And while these scores may not be the best ones out there-- especially on SDN-- I'm pretty happy with them and very happy that I won't be retaking. Just want to share in case anything helps.

July 1st DAT:
Bio: 20
GC: 21
OC: 21
PAT: 21
RC: 19
QR: 22
AA: 21

I'm mostly annoyed with my RC score... I read every night for fun, read Scientific American articles, and RC was my consistently highest score on practice exams. I'm not really sure what happened. I didn't think the test articles were harder or anything, I guess I just wasn't in the zone. But I hope it's not low enough to really affect anything, and god knows I'm not retaking the whole thing to try to raise that, so the best I can do is laugh about it!

Study materials: Cliffs, Ferralis, Coursesaver for Chad's, Destroyer, and Bootcamp.
  • All are as good as everyone says, really not much I can add to it!! Destroyer is amazing, absolutely amazing. Basically, don't get discouraged, you WILL get most wrong. Just keep going and write down everything you got wrong/guessed on. I started with a used 2011 one that my friend gave me, but got a little paranoid and ended up buying the 2016 one and went through that twice. So with the 2011 version, probably did Destroyer about 2.5 times. Wish I had done the 2016 3 times-- think it really would've pushed me over the top (in a good way).
  • Bootcamp is really great. Just know that the subject tests are the same exact set of questions as the full-length practice exam, which I did not know. So when I started taking the full lengths, I had to skip the 1st and 2nd because I had done some of those subject tests and it wasn't a fair look at how I was doing. I would say that Bootcamp was pretty on par with the real exam-- OC and QR was more straightforward though. Bio is exactly as random as everyone says!
  • Bootcamp Scores:
Bio/GC/OC/PAT/RC/QR
Test 1: 20/19/16/21/22/20
Test 2: 16/20/20/22/20/19
(So the first two, as stated above, I did the subject tests alone, didn't do those two all in full. Also those 2 16s I got on the same day, the day after I got back from my long break, and I wanted to see what I had retained-- whoops lol.)
Test 3: 19/23/18/20/23/18
Test 4: 19/24/21/21/23/18
Test 5: 19/20/20/20/22/19

2009 ADA: 22/23/19/X/21/19
  • I didn't do the PAT on paper, so I just did the 6th BC test. Got a 20.
  • Personally thought the 2009 was easier than the actual (except for the QR... wtf is up with that) but it predicted my AA of 21 so can't complain
Clearly did much better in math during the actual exam vs the practice. I have no tips unfortunately. I have a math minor and do biomathematical modeling research, so I got a lillll cocky and thought I wouldn't have to study much. 0/10 do not recommend you try this method lol. According to the practice exams, clearly I was wrong... wish I had studied more because know I could've killed this, but really can't complain.

Personal Do's and Don'ts:
- Studied for about 8 weeks total, but it was probably closer to 6.5 or 7. Started the day after finals, studied for 2 weeks, went to Hawaii for a week, then about 2 days later, had to drive back to my college for a few days to move into a new house for the next year. I lost wayyyy too much time doing all that and feel if I hadn't taken that break, I would've been further ahead. Really really recommend to avoid taking extended time off, because I felt like I had forgotten almost everything.
- I was able to get through Destroyer twice in 10 days. Just divide each section by 5 and power through. I think it was like 120 Bio, 65 OC, 73 GC a day lol but glad I did that in retrospect because once through just wouldn't have been enough.
- About a week before the exam, I rewrote the main parts of my GC, math, bio, and math notes. Really helped. (Also shoutout to @russelldw ... in his breakdown, he has a google doc summing up Bio thats of course not as intensive as Ferralis, but slightly more organized and easier to read. Helped me out during last minute reminders and bio cramming).
- Pay attention to your health. I hardly worked out because I knew I would beat myself up for losing studying/sleeping time. But with sitting so much everyday, my butt and back started to kill me. Definitely go on walks, runs, bike rides, swim, anything to keep your mind clear and muscles healthy. Wish I had put that in my schedule earlier as a non-negotiable thing.
- Maybe stay off SDN if you're getting stressed by all the 23s and 25s... I know I was, and just know you're doing your best and you can worry about how you compare later.
- Give yourself cushion after your scheduled test incase you need to reschedule. I didn't feel like I needed to, but even if I did, I couldn't because in about 10 days I'm studying abroad for the rest of the summer (yay). But at the same time, schedule great things for after the test! I'm so pumped that I have nothing to worry about over this 4th of July weekend, and it really gave me a light at the end of the tunnel.
- Be organized. Stick to your schedule. KNOW YOUR STUDY HABITS AND NEEDS. Just because one thing worked for someone doesn't mean it'll work for you, so keep an open mind, persevere, and be strong.

Sorry, so much longer than I anticipated, but I'm happy to be done and just want to pay it forward after the many breakdowns I read! Whoever is reading this-- you got this!

Congratulations! You did it! I have seen your on SDN for several months and so happy you were able to achieve these excellent scores! Your scores are very consistent and that's what dental schools like to see. You put in the hard work and it paid off . Yu will not have a problem getting interviews from a lot of schools.

Let me quote you because it is so well stated and I agree 100 percent.

- Be organized. Stick to your schedule. KNOW YOUR STUDY HABITS AND NEEDS. Just because one thing worked for someone doesn't mean it'll work for you, so keep an open mind, persevere, and be strong."

Happy 4th and enjoy your summer!

Take care..

Nancy and Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! You did it! I have seen your on SDN for several months and so happy you were able to achieve these excellent scores! Your scores are very consistent and that's what dental schools like to see. You put in the hard work and it paid off . Yu will not have a problem getting interviews from a lot of schools.

Let me quote you because it is so well stated and I agree 100 percent.

- Be organized. Stick to your schedule. KNOW YOUR STUDY HABITS AND NEEDS. Just because one thing worked for someone doesn't mean it'll work for you, so keep an open mind, persevere, and be strong."

Happy 4th and enjoy your summer!

Take care..

Nancy and Dr. Romano
Thank you so much, and thank you both for your materials and for being so willing to answer all our questions on here! You guys are the best!