breaking a PGY2 contract- HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girl2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone i need advice. I signed the contract for my PGY2 year in December since then i have wanted to change specialty and started looking into open positions. One of the programs is ready to accept me as long as i have a letter of release from this program and my PDs letter. The problem is my program director has been very nice and says i am a very valuable resident and is very emphatic about not letting me go. She wants me to continue for next year and then switch which would harm me with the funding issues etc. Should i resign? What are my options? Help!!

Members don't see this ad.

You signed the contract. If the PD is not willing to let you go, perhaps you should talk to a lawyer about your options - maybe someone here is an expert in such issues but contracts are just what they say they are. If you resign, without their consent, I am not sure that would let you take the other spot (since you signed the contract).

Good advice from yaah...

unfortunately, you signed the contract and its a little late to back out of it now and expect to get the full support from your PD and for them to find a replacement for your position.

Your options are:

to resign - which means you will likely NOT get a letter of support frm your current PD and if you don't have a written offer from the other program, you may be out of ANY residency position

finish PGY3 and hope that the other program will still take you; if they really want you, the HCFA/CMS funding shouldn't be an issue

beg your PD and hit the streets to find another resident just as valuable as you to take your place

see an attorney and discuss your options

I would laugh my butt off if the program actually refused to release you. PDs are very low in the hospital/medical center food chain... I would get a solid attorney and have him/her go directly to the CEO of the hospital.

And by the way, she doesnt need a letter of support as she has never worked there, she mentions a letter of release likely to indemify the other program against lawsuits, not as a reference.

This BS is why the match is utterly absurd. Im so glad I kicked that crap to curb and just applied on my own.

beg your PD and hit the streets to find another resident just as valuable as you to take your place

see an attorney and discuss your options

I doubt just rolling a warmed body into the program to rep you out is going to solve this. But interesting concept...

Ohh, I found this sucker..oh I mean another PGY-2 to take my place, even looks like me!

I doubt just rolling a warmed body into the program to rep you out is going to solve this. But interesting concept...

Ohh, I found this sucker..oh I mean another PGY-2 to take my place, even looks like me!

Sorry...my sarcasm obviously didn't register in my post.

I doubt it would work too but offered it as a possibility.

And by the way, she doesnt need a letter of support as she has never worked there, she mentions a letter of release likely to indemify the other program against lawsuits, not as a reference.

She DOES need a letter from her current/PGY-1 PD. A resident contemplating transferring to another program or switching specialties almost always needs a letter of support from their current PD, stating that they are in good standing and will finish PGY-1 (in this case) satisfactorily.

Hmm found myself in almost similar situation this year haha I have to resign was asked for a letter of resignation by my current program director but she wrote me a program director letter anyway for my new program. Blaah I too hate this match crap its annoying u have to jump through firey rings to get anything done. I just have to finish this year is all by contract which may actually delay my start date in my new field since there are orientation things I cannot attend but so is life.