breaking down...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wasvsdal

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i dunno what to do.. im a complete wreck.

i was a pre-med/acct major, but then i did so badly in my premed classes that i was like this is not for me and i switched over to business. but the whole im taking these classes, all i can think of oh my science classes! i love the competition, the challenge, the pretty lookin smart girls..i guess i was just never motivated. i dont know if its even worth going back but i really want toooo

my science gpa is a 2.55, overall 3.0! im getting a 4.0 this semester (all acct/finance classes). gen bio - B, phys 1 - B, orgo 1 - B, orgo 2 - C, both orgo labs - A, genetics - C, microbio - C, cell bio - D, calc I - A, ap'ed out of gen chem!
my goal if i went back would be to take the upper levels of all the classes i got a C in, and repeat cell bio. i think i learned the material just suffered in the grades department cuz i didnt do my homework n studied for exams n stuff. what are my chances of getting into an american med school possibly UMD in another 3-4 semesters (max possible gpa 3.4, science gpa 3.25)

ill get on the MCATs n stuff asap! but i just wanna be sure bout this path because everyone tells me if u aint sure then dont even bother. im soo confused n i hate ittt!

i goto university of maryland - college park, so maybe once we talk it out, i could get some suggestions on what courses i should take and stuff.

please guys...talk it out with me!

Members don't see this ad.

Two things real quick...
1. You will get into medical school if you want it bad enough.
2. Quitting is for losers.
Hope that motivates you.

You need to pull up that science GPA ASAP. You want to get it as close to 3.5 as humanly possible. I suggest you take as many science classes it takes to get there while you're still an undergrad, you should be able to tell if this is mathematically possible and how many classes it will take. Nonetheless, you will probably need to get 3.8-4.0s in all your science classes from now on. Only then will you have a reasonable shot at a US Allopathic school. Provided your MCAT is in line as well as everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i was just never motivated. i dont know if its even worth going back but i really want toooo

my science gpa is a 2.55, overall 3.0! im getting a 4.0 this semester (all acct/finance classes). gen bio - B, phys 1 - B, orgo 1 - B, orgo 2 - C, both orgo labs - A, genetics - C, microbio - C, cell bio - D, calc I - A, ap'ed out of gen chem!
my goal if i went back would be to take the upper levels of all the classes i got a C in, and repeat cell bio. i think i learned the material just suffered in the grades department cuz i didnt do my homework n studied for exams n stuff. what are my chances of getting into an american med school possibly UMD in another 3-4 semesters (max possible gpa 3.4, science gpa 3.25)

ill get on the MCATs n stuff asap! but i just wanna be sure bout this path because everyone tells me if u aint sure then dont even bother. im soo confused n i hate ittt!

i goto university of maryland - college park, so maybe once we talk it out, i could get some suggestions on what courses i should take and stuff.

please guys...talk it out with me!

" i dont know if its even worth going back but i really want toooo"

If you don't have the motivation then you won't make it. With your current grades I seriously doubt you would stand a chance at UMD's medical school.

Have you even bothered to shadow a physician or read up on what the day-to-day practice of being a doctor entails?

If medical school is something you truly want and you are willing to put in the effort then you can make it. I would urge you, however, to seriously consider if this is what you truly want to do. There is no shame in moving on to something else.

These threads about lacking motivation and not having the grades get to be a bit tiresome. Step up, get the motivation, get the grades, or move on....just like everybody else. It's your life and you have to decide how it is worth you spending it.

He has a shot. There are people in medical school that had poor grade point averages early on, and then got their acts together. It will take extra work and dedication. If he does well on the MCAT, gets straight As from now on, acquires good letters, and has good extracurriculars to put in his CV I believe he can make up for his poor academic start in college.

How is it BS? All the poster said was don't quit, you WILL get in if you want it. And he was absolutely right.

If he said "you will get into a US allo school," well, then, maybe not. Osteo school? Still, maybe not. Top 4 Caribbean school? Probably, but maybe not. Brand-new-Caribbean-school-with-no-grads-yet? Yes; and if that fails, an Eastern European school would certainly accept you.

So I agree that anyone who really wants it will get into a medical school, although it may not be the one you want or the best one.

I third this, but only as regards "quitting is for losers".

OP: Like what was said earlier, if you truly want in, you'll find a way in - and **** anyone that tries to dissuade you from the matter.

Your projected GPAs won't help the matter, but anything you can do to boost those will be beneficial (as will a respectable show on the MCAT).

In my opinion, what you need to do is make sure that you know what you're doing - you know, whether this whole "medicine" thing is what you want for yourself. I say that because numbers-wise, I'm not terribly worried about getting in the door; what scares me is waking up one day and realizing that I made a terrible mistake.

You'll be able to find your way into a medical program if you really want to. I've heard many a story on this forum about people scoring MD and DO acceptances alike with stats worse than yours. :thumbup:

My gramps always said "if at first you dont succeed try, try again!" I have never needed to use this advice but it sounds good.