Breaking Residency Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation. A few months into my residency, I am hating life, and every day is worse than the day before. I've tried to suck it up thinking that I'll just get used to it, but I can't do it anymore. What I want to know is whether programs just let people out of their contracts, or whether they pursue legal action.
I know of people who have dropped out of their residencies without any action on the part of the program, but I was wondering if any of you have heard anything different.

Members don't see this ad.

Niko said:
Here's the situation. A few months into my residency, I am hating life, and every day is worse than the day before. I've tried to suck it up thinking that I'll just get used to it, but I can't do it anymore. What I want to know is whether programs just let people out of their contracts, or whether they pursue legal action.
I know of people who have dropped out of their residencies without any action on the part of the program, but I was wondering if any of you have heard anything different.

I have not specifically heard any different and would imagine most programs would try to be understanding as long as you were upfront, gave sufficient warning and didn't try to leave under false pretenses. If it just isn't for you and you can't find any way to finish, then leaving might be a good option.

Kimberli Cox said:
I have not specifically heard any different and would imagine most programs would try to be understanding as long as you were upfront, gave sufficient warning and didn't try to leave under false pretenses. If it just isn't for you and you can't find any way to finish, then leaving might be a good option.

depending on the state you live in. Most have right to work laws and you are able to end a contract as well as the employer is also able to enda contract at will. Consult a local labor lier, I mean lawyer for your best advice.

Have you talked to anyone in your program about what you don't like/can't stand? If they fixed a few things, could you handle the rest for the remainder of the year? The reason I ask, is you will have a much easier time getting a job if you have your internship finished. You can get a license in many states, even though I wouldn't recommend practicing.

Annette,
Thanks for your advice, but I'm not planning on quitting medicine all together. I just want out of the specialty I'm in right now and want to start over again next year. The residency I'm in right now won't give me any credit towards what I want to start next year, so this year is basically useless for me.
I just wanted to know whether my chances of gettinga spot next year will be affected.

Sorry to hear how sucky things are. Good luck with all this. I have never heard of anyone being sued by their residency for leaving. That doesn't maen it can't happen but I've been around for a while and I've never seen it. Unfortunately I would say that you would be in a better position looking for other residency spots if you finish out the year. If the programs that are looking at you see that you left in the middle of the year they may worry that you'd do that to them too. As you probably know getting into a spot when you're leaving a program is tricky anyway depending on your specialty and CV. I know it sucks but I think you'd be a much stronger candidate if you finish the year.

Niko said:
I just wanted to know whether my chances of getting a spot next year will be affected.

If you quit an internship mid-year, you will be damaged goods for any future jobs. The loss of an intern makes the lives of your colleagues and your supervisors much harder. They will be unlikely to write you favorable recommendation letters.

Also, every job you will ever apply for in the future will ask for a chronological listing of your activities. It will be crystal clear that you quit internship early, which calls your reliability into question. Reliability is THE most important quality someone hiring and MD is seeking.

If at all possible, finish the year out. You will make your life much harder if you don't. If you cannot finish, give plenty of advance notice and try to get a letter from your PD confirming that.