Breaks During Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monalisa83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the breaks work. Do you take them whenever you want, is there a time limit for the breaks? Could I take breaks between each block, if so, how much time could i have a break between blocks? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Note the above is for USMLE step 1 (im not sure if comlex is different).

Does anyone know how the breaks work. Do you take them whenever you want, is there a time limit for the breaks? Could I take breaks between each block, if so, how much time could i have a break between blocks? Thanks.

A break is offered after every block. You have an hour of total break time but if you finish an exam early then that time is added on to your total break time. I ended up having a lot of break time that I didn't use but other people I've spoken with didn't get to finish the survey they give at the end because that just uses whatever break time you have left over.

Is that one hour including lunch? Also, how much time is given for the survey? Is the survey one block of questions (50q)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
A break is offered after every block. You have an hour of total break time but if you finish an exam early then that time is added on to your total break time. I ended up having a lot of break time that I didn't use but other people I've spoken with didn't get to finish the survey they give at the end because that just uses whatever break time you have left over.

If we allot 10 minutes to the survey, does that mean we can add 50 minutes to our break intervals?

The survey is not required and if you don't get to it at the end there is no penalty.

You don't get any time for the survey, it's just added to the end if you haven't used up all your break time or finished the final block with time to spare.

I took the step yesterday. I was freshest in the morning and get extremely tired towards the end-eating lunch always makes me sleepy (damn alkaline tide). here's how i used my break time:
Two blocks
5 min break
two blocks
30 min break for lunch
one block
5 min break
one block
5 min break
one block
leftovers for survey
I took 2 asprin in the morning and another 2 during lunch. The computer screen at Prometric are not LCD-the screen strains your eyes.