Breaks on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metukah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone comment on how the breaks work on the Step exactly?
Like when you finish a block, does a popup come up asking you if you want to proceed to the next block? And how do you keep track of the break time?

I've also heard if you skip the tutorial, it adds 15 minutes to your break?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, some of us like to watch and learn. I'm taking the exam in June and didnt care to google this while I was taking a **** - so I figured I should make my first post

Haha, some of us like to watch and learn. I'm taking the exam in June and didnt care to google this while I was taking a **** - so I figured I should make my first post

So, you like to watch eh o_O

Reactions: 1 users
bump for any helpful response. I just took a nbme and if you click on the pop-up when the time runs out for a block the next block automatically starts. It doesn't mention proceeding to the next block in the prompt. The only way to take a 5 min break (like I'm planning on the real thing) is to leave the pop-up as it is even though the prompt makes me think i should close it first. I was wondering if this is how the real thing is or if it is different in any way.

also the time for each section was giving me 1 hour and 5 min, which I thought it was 1 hour total for each section and then the 45min + 15 tutorial that you could use in any way. is this just the nbme adjustment for 4 extra questions? I would like to avoid surprises on the big day.

Thanks in advance!

bump for any helpful response. I just took a nbme and if you click on the pop-up when the time runs out for a block the next block automatically starts. It doesn't mention proceeding to the next block in the prompt. The only way to take a 5 min break (like I'm planning on the real thing) is to leave the pop-up as it is even though the prompt makes me think i should close it first. I was wondering if this is how the real thing is or if it is different in any way.

also the time for each section was giving me 1 hour and 5 min, which I thought it was 1 hour total for each section and then the 45min + 15 tutorial that you could use in any way. is this just the nbme adjustment for 4 extra questions? I would like to avoid surprises on the big day.

Thanks in advance!

On the real thing, its 46 ques for 1 hr, different from NBME. In between sections, you will see a popup that shows you your remaining break time and 2 buttons to click. Continue on to next block or go on break. You get 30 sec to decide or it will automatically put you on break

Yeah, as above you can take a break between every section if you want to. My advice would be to pee early and pee often -- nothing worse than being halfway through a block and having to pee really bad. I'd take 3-5 minute breaks between every section and then 15-20 minutes for a midway longer break to eat, take a walk outside, etc.

Reactions: 1 user