Breast Augmentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixteenstones

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This Q is for Plastics residents...

Please comment on the best approach for surgery
1. periareolar
2. breast crease
3. transaxillary
4. transumbilical

best placement
1. supramuscular
2. submuscular

best implant
1. normal
2. medium profile
3. high profile

Time for general recovery, ie back to work and normal activities

My wife is going from an A to C, and I just want to get some resident thoughts on this. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious.... you can't get mammos with implants, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
maxheadroom said:
You can (and should) get mammograms, even with breast implants.

That's good to know. I thought they might pop?

when they go under the breast with a transverse incision, does the implant go under breast tissue and above muscle? or under muscle.

when they go thru the nipple where does i sit

and also, ive seen some pics where u cant for sure it hasnt gone thru either the nipple or under teh breast, and these always seem to be the most perky of breast
how do they do these ones

sixteenstones said:
My wife is going from an A to C, and I just want to get some resident thoughts on this. Thank you.

congratulations.

maxheadroom said:
You can (and should) get mammograms, even with breast implants.

JAMA just published an article this year suggesting that the sensitivity of mammography was only slightly decreased with breast implants, and that the decrease in sensitivity was not clinically significant. Another test that breast implants and breast tissue interferes with is trans-thoracic echo's. We had a 60 some year old patient who had recently gotten breast implants and needed a TTE for some reason, but the quality of study was too poor that we had to reccomend getting a TEE (trans-esophageal echo).

There are a multitude of techniques for breast augmentation. Most of the submuscular approaches that I've seen have been through a small inframammary incision.

hey everyone!!

I don't know if this question has already been answered, but why is it that the US has stopped the use of silicone for breast implants for first time use? ARe there any dangers to using silicone? I know in south america the plastic surgeons are still using them.

claudiadent

claudiadent said:
but why is it that the US has stopped the use of silicone for breast implants for first time use?

In a word: torts

Without much science, plaintiff lawyers managed to bankrupt the Dow Chemical subunit of Dow-Corning Corp. with an avalanche of class-action lawsuits blaming silicone breast implants from everything from chronic fatigue syndrome to infertility. The FDA bowed to political pressure from women's groups (who object to the idea of breast augmentation in principal) and had silicone prosthetics removed from the market EXCEPT for breast reconstruction or replacement of pre-existing silicone implants which ruptured. In the interim there have been multiple large long-term studies from all over the world which have failed to implicate silicone implants on any health-related disorder except local complications (rupture, capsular contracture, infection, later/medial migration, etc...) to which they compare similarly to saline implants. Of note - none of the plaintiffs in any of they settlements has offered to return the money :) Currently silicone implants are available under IRB protacol for ptosis correction and for primary augmentation to a small number of surgeons in trials. Elsewhere in the world, silicone is overwhelmingly the most popular choice for reconstruction & augmentation and freely available in every country that I know of (including Canada, the UK, the E.U. countries, Australia, Mexico, you name it) without restictions. In a very rare move, the FDA recently elected NOT to lift the restriction on silicone implants despite an endorsement from the expert physician-led advisory panel and referred the issue for more study.

droliver said:
In a word: torts

Without much science, plaintiff lawyers managed to bankrupt the Dow Chemical subunit of Dow-Corning Corp.
Another example of why lawyers are evil. :mad:

I've been following the silicone breast implant controversy since the beginning of the 1990s when "problems" started surfacing. I was shocked earlier this year when the FDA did not approve silicone for breast implants, instead deferring the decision until more conclusive research becomes available.

I was wondering what your opinions are on when the FDA will finally reinstall silicone on the breast implant US market? Do you think it will be in the next few years or even in our lifetime?

xylemera said:
I've been following the silicone breast implant controversy since the beginning of the 1990s when "problems" started surfacing. I was shocked earlier this year when the FDA did not approve silicone for breast implants, instead deferring the decision until more conclusive research becomes available.

I was wondering what your opinions are on when the FDA will finally reinstall silicone on the breast implant US market? Do you think it will be in the next few years or even in our lifetime?

I thought they did, but the manufacturers won't sell them in the US except in very limited cases?